Thread: Help finding very affordable pants

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Question Help finding very affordable pants

Hey all! Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a new job coming up in a few months, and I have no pants to wear to work. I'm trying to figure out somewhere to buy something that is appropriate for me. I'd rather not pay more than $40 for a pair of pants, though that isn't set in stone--if I need to pay more, I'll pay more.

Here is what I have now, and why it doesn't work for me:

Levi's 513 29x32 - Perfect fit, but my new workplace is not jeans-friendly.
    BR "Gavin" Straight Fit Chinos 29x32 - Feel baggy and pointless. These fit, but they shrunk in the wash. Now they're too short but still baggy and pointless.
    H&M skinny Cords 29x32 - Too tight for work. These also shrunk in the wash.

Here is what I am looking for:

Khakis that don't look like my dad's khakis.
    Maybe cords. Can you wear cords to work in a client-facing position?
    Wool pants. I can't afford more suits but I'd like to be able to dress it up if/when necessary.

What can I do? I'm trying to resist going Bonobos... $80, man. Is that just what pants cost?

Aaron

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I like my Emerson and slim fit chinos from BR. I bought mine for $30 each when BR had a 50% off code.
    Lands' End tailored fit pants are also nice. I have two linen/cotton blend pairs of those. They also have wool pants. Again, waiting for a sale you can get them for under $40.

And Dockers. D2s are nice for work (D1s would probably work as well, I just don't own any). You can find those for under $40 on sale usually.

Varsity Member Sigtweed Corduroy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Target and JCP are your friends. Gap on sale would also work and they have a few nice pants right now. Keep an eye out for 30% off at Gap. Actually they have a 25% off and it bumps to 35% if your spend $100+.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    aaron, Uniqlo has some inexpensive wool/poly pants and cotton chinos. On sale they're in the $20s.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Gap factory outlet used to do a cotton dress pant in charcoal for ~$40. They are light, and they look more like wool. I don't know if they still have them, but they are very versatile.
    I second the recommendation for dockers D1.

Cords in spring and summer probably won't be much fun to wear.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    Lands End sales, i just got my first pair of chinos I don't mine wearing from them. Cost about $25 on sale

Banana republic....i just got 2 sweaters and 2 jackets from them...I won't be ever ordering from them again, everything was ordered in a large 1 sweater fits great, other is a bit loose but not bad

jacket is huge

Camel Coat is made for some short portly guy with really long arms, I can't pick my arms out without the jacket traveling up.

Not sure how their pants are but eep!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    Hard to say what will fit on you, but I just picked up a pair of jcp's flat-front chinos, and they fit me well. Slim on the thigh and relatively slim past the knee. They could come in a bit past the knee on me, but I've got skinny calves. With the 20% off code (expires today), they're down to $24.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Tailoring, to a degree, is always an option. At the very least, I recommend hemming to the proper length and tailoring to slim them below the knee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I just bought 2 pairs of Gap the vintage Khakis $18.89 each.
    I did get an extra 10% off for using my gap card on Tues, so it comes to like $21 without a gap card.

I dunno if they float your boat, but can't complain about the price!