Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (LC)2 Pocket Squares by JoeG

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I will actually have premium products that will be made from fabrics that I purchased from a fabric vender that resales leftovers from big name brands: Gucci, J. Crew, DKNY, Hugo Boss, etc. and low cost up-cycled fabrics for those guys that want to look nice but are on a tight budget.
    My initial idea was for a solid low profile box, but I let my girlfriend talk me into the clear top ones. I don't have the resources most other startups do. The whole idea behind the simplified sleeve was to not only save on my cost, but also provide a lower cost for the customer.
    @Fred I totally agree with you on the quality product in quality packaging. Any opinion on clear versus solid lid?

I'm actually hoping to establish myself somewhere around the same level as General Knot Co. and Forage. They both use solid brown boxes with natural filling. My motto is pretty much exactly as theirs is: Limited quantity, high quality handcrafted products at a competitive price. In addition to using as much product as I can in production that is either or both eco-friendly and American made.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeG View Post
    Any opinion on clear versus solid lid?
    Personally, I'd definitely prefer solid. Plastic just reminds me of those awful matching tie and pocket square sets you see at TJ Maxx or something. In addition to the product obviously, the packaging and customer experience I think also play a big role with the best online retailers. For a first time buyer who hasn't even had a chance to see or feel one of your ties yet, the packaging will be their first physical impression of your company. A nice well designed, decently solid quality box would probably go a long way into creating the impression that a quality product is inside. For businesses that have B&M stores or are more of a known entity, I would think it's less important. I'd vote for going with a nice box, even if you have to bump the price of the product a buck or two to incorporate the cost.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    @Fred, I am greatly appreciating the feedback.

Would it be taking it a step too far to use colored filler to match my logo, or should I stay with the neutral brown?

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Most places I've bought from just use a sheet or two of tissue paper, loosely wrapped around the tie or squares and then often sealed with a sticker that has the company logo on it. That would certainly be an option if you don't want to deal with the filler. The problem with colored filler/paper is that you may have a tie or square that clashes horribly with it, thus not presenting your product in the best way when someone opens the box.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)
    Count me as another vote against the colored filler. It reads as cheap to me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    agreed, a bit too corny. Keep it simple and classy.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    I'll also add that while all the boxes I posted above are nice, by far the nicest is the Vanda box in the upper right. Vanda is an online tie and pocket square company based in Sinagpore: http://vandafineclothing.com/
    Their products are really fantastic, but I suspect they overdid it on the box to counter any reservations people might have about ordering from an online company based in Asia. Obviously I'm only going to be a repeat customer if I like the product, but a quality box does make a nice first impression.