Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (LC)2 Pocket Squares by JoeG

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

(LC)2 Pocket Squares by JoeG

I thought it would be nice to start an official thread to share some behind the scenes snapshots with the Dappered community as I develop my pocket square project.

I let my enthusiasm get the best of me, and started working on patterns and designs for bow ties, neck ties, and cuff links. Luckily my girlfriend recognized when it was time to step in and bring me back to steady ground.

So far I have established my sewing technique, and developed a logo design. By days end I should have a sample logo/care label to share with everyone.

Here is an early rendering of my logo. It is a math statement for the initials of my girlfriend and my dog.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    These are the label samples I received last week. This is the smallest they could make them at 2cm squared with all the info. I have since decided to greatly reduce the size by eliminating everything minus the logo.

Just for fun, here is a sample of the squares I am currently working on.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeG View Post
    Just for fun, here is a sample of the squares I am currently working on.
    This looks like a great pattern for a pocket square. Simple, but visually interesting, versatile, looks like a total winner to me.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    I'm excited, I look forward to supporting your project with a purchase in the future!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Looks great! From someone who has tried sewing his own ps with rolled edges, I happily await buying them from you.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Any plans for silk or silk-wool blends? Also, just so you know your competition I assume you've perused this 3200 post thread:
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/228536/p...gestions/0_100

My personal faves are Drake's (by far), Seaward & Stearn, and Vanda but I'm always looking for new squares!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks guys for the kind words!! There will definitely be some perks and deals to be had for my Dapper brethren.

@Fred: I have been focusing on cotton squares, with plans to expand to other fibers in time. If I find a great deal on silk though I will do my best to acquire it. I am familiar with Drakes by name, and will have to look into Seaward & Stearn. I have actually had some small conversations with Vanda through email. They have been very nice and forthcoming with general info about the construction of their squares.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Hmm LC2 is the engine in my car
    5'8" 155 lbs 39" chest 33" sleeves 33" waist

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Ok. I know that I haven't been very active posting and being involved here for a while. Between my day job and trying to get this little venture started I don't get much free time. I do try to read and keep caught up with a few threads, even if I'm not posting much.
    I'm trying to walk a delicate balance between not making post that can be considered advertisement, seemingly using this thread as my personal blog, and staying in touch with the guys and blog that originally helped lead me down this path. So please, if I ever overstep any Threads boundaries, don't hesitate to kick me in the shin.

To my point. Damn, who knew all of the little details that go into starting a little business like this?! From finding sources for material, to product packaging, creating a website, etc. I have a constant headache, but I'm enjoying every bit of it. I need help in making the final decision on my packaging. I have since expanded what will be my first collection to include scarves, and bow ties, and pocket squares.

*this is primarily for online orders, should I get into a local store in the future I will probably find another way that will work better in a display.
    A. Clear sleeve w/recycled card stock: Thin, light, simplified, can fit more items in smaller postage package. So low cost, and light I will probably be able to offer free shipping. Any clothing I've ever ordered online simply came in a plastic sleeve/bag. I'm worried it doesn't instantly read well made/quality craftsmanship.
    B. Kraft box with clear lid. Sturdy, presentable, can transition well from shipping to gift giving to storage of item. Costly: box, filler, sticker, heavier to send, etc. May have to charge $2-$3 for U.S. shipping. The little logo strip across the corner would be an actual sticker, and the filler will be a darker brown kraft color.

Any advice, comments, and reviews will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by JoeG; December 6th, 2013 at 11:51 AM.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    I'd say it depends a bit on your price point. If it is a premium product, I'd expect premium packaging, meaning a box with a lid, not plastic. Pretty much all of the other small startups I've shopped at for ties and pocket squares ship in a box, and larger outfits like Mr Porter and RL do too.

Just a few boxes I'd saved, but you get the idea.