Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Briefcase(student to professional transition)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Question Briefcase(student to professional transition)

After 3 1/2 years of use, my beloved black Nike backpack is starting to wear down....I think I deserve an upgrade. However I'm having a hard time deciding an appropriate bag to buy as I still have several years left at my University and then will be going into a relatively conservative field-accounting.

Right now I switch out the black nike bag for this guy from Urban:
    http://reviews.urbanoutfitters.com/5...ws/reviews.htm

I have it in olive and I generally use it when I want to look nice. It's certainly a step up from the backpacks that most kids wear, but it gets uncomfortable and feels somewhat cheap.

So the question is....I have some money saved up, but what's an appropriate bag? One that I really like the look of is the Filson Original Briefcase(particularly in navy).I know it gets a lot of love here on the forums. What do you guys think? Would I be able to use this bag after graduation? Or should I wait and splurge on a saddleback when I get closer to graduation?

http://www.filson.com/products/origi...taProduct=1019

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    What field are you going into? EDIT: NM saw accounting. I think a Filson would be okay unless you're in a really conservative office.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    The Filson looks great. I think it would be a fine choice. I have the Saddleback Thin, and while I love it to death it is most definitely a HUGE splurge item. Most people in my office (military IT work) carry crummy backpacks actually, and I really stand out.

Make sure to consider items from Frost River as well. I have their flight bag and think it's great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Unless your office is business formal (suit), that Filson briefcase should be fine. I'd probably consider the tan version though, as that would be more versatile than navy.

While the Saddleback briefcases are nice, they aren't really much more formal than that Filson, so the Saddleback briefcases would not be much more business appropriate if that's a concern to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    How much are you willing to spend? I love the leather briefcase/messenger combo style. I would try to get something in leather if I were you.

This is because you are wearing a suit in your avatar, you seem like the kind of guy who will quickly gravitate towards wearing a suit at work, or at least pretty dapper stuff. If you get something in canvas now, you will quickly feel overdressed for your bag.

This is exactly what happened to me. I bought something in canvas and then quickly had to upgrade to leather anyway as I started dressing better. Of course a non leather bag will suit you just fine at school, but so will leather. You can find something good for under 200 on ebay perhaps.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I'm thinking about $200-250 is ideally what I would like to spend. I have three years left at school and I dress casually most days(button down, jeans, boots, sweater, etc). However, I'm pretty sure I will end up wearing suits to work once I get my first job.

I can definitively see why it's not the most business professional bag, but I'd able to get some solid use out of it through schooling and internships during the summer. I'd just hate to think I'm putting a lot of money down on something that I won't be able to get a ton of use out of down the line.

Joe posted these guys Woolrich x Frost River bags:

http://www.bonobos.com/ss12-woolrich...g0011-oc30-309

http://www.bonobos.com/ss12-woolrich...g0011-oc30-621

They are marked down to $148 and I could get $25 off with the referral code.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)
    Those are an unbelievable deal. I was going to post them here but you beat me to it. Even if you can't bring them to the office one day, I'd imagine you'd get some serious use out of them.
    "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    @greg- Agreed. I think I'm going to take the jump. Would you say the sage is more versatile than the navy??

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)
    At this point I think you can go with what appeals to you more. I personally would probably spring for the navy but I like them both. A lot.
    "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If I carried a briefcase, I'd be all over the sale.