Thread: Your Warby Parker Experience?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Your Warby Parker Experience?

New to Dappered.

First post.

I'm interested by Warby Parker's, perscription glasses, but hesitant.

Tried on a pair, at a pop-up shop and they were flimsy, but cheap.

I'd love to hear about your, hopefully positive, experiences with the brand.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Just purchased from them in December. I have horrible vision, something like 20/600; coke bottles. Usually, with insurance, my glasses cost somewhere between $400-600. I liked the styles available from warby parker, so decided to go with them. Got a little grief from my eye doctor, but just was honest about what it cost, and got by. I think the glasses are a good price for what I got. Not the highest quality, but I don't ever feel like I'm going to break them accidentally. I sprung for the high index, so $120 for me. I'd say well worth it.

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2073 Post(s)
    I didn't buy any but I tried on two different sets of home try-ons last year. I wasn't super impressed with any of them... the frames looked decent, but the quality was mediocre at best, and none of them seemed to fit right, mostly much too tight around the temples.

I ended up splurging at a boutique optical shop and haven't regretted the decision. My glasses are the only item of apparel that are with me every waking moment, so I think it's worth it to spend more to get the perfect pair rather than settling because of price consideration.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Just got my first pair. Almost bought a similar pair for $500. Wound up paying $120 with high index lenses at WP instead (even got a $5 discount code because I purchased in their nyc showroom). Insurance actually also covered $70 of that. So, for $50 I feel like I got an amazing deal.

Considering my eyeglass shopping experience consisted of salespeople telling me that my prescription necessitated a whole host of options (high-index, a different kind of anti-reflective coating, etc), I felt like I was out buying a used car because none of their prices were written down and it consisted of them writing numbers on a scrap piece of paper talking fast. In addition, you have to have good luck to get to an eyeglass showroom with decent prices with styles you like. Instead, WP made the whole thing simple, and kinda fun. A whole range of on-trend styles, with a high-index lens option. All prices are transparent.

Lenses look pretty good (my prescription is prone to the coke-bottle effect if not done right). Frames are good - not amazing quality, but definitely good enough. And if you lose/break them, it doesn't cost a brand new smartphone to replace. The customer service was great - actually had to send back some frames I changed my mind on.

I definitely recommend (though, I've only had them for about 2 weeks).

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I just got my first pair. I don't have a very strong prescription, so I didn't get high-index lenses. They cost $90 - I also got the $5 showroom discount. And hopefully my vision insurance will reimburse the entire cost!

Their NYC showroom has a laid-back atmosphere and there's no pressure from the employees to buy anything. Unlike the optometrist, the glasses are on open shelves. You can pick up any pair and try them on without trying to get an employee's attention.

The glasses are a good everyday pair, though they probably don't use the strongest materials. Maybe their titanium models can take more of a beating. But I like that they don't cost a fortune, and if I want a different pair in a few months, I can do it with such little effort. And I don't have to support the Luxottica behemoth.

You should definitely give them a try. I believe they have a generous return policy (30 days, no questions asked) so if you don't like them, you can go somewhere else.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    How did you guys measure your PD? Do it yourself? I'm thinking about trying WP if my insurance will pay for most of it but want to make sure I get it right.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    How did you guys measure your PD? Do it yourself? I'm thinking about trying WP if my insurance will pay for most of it but want to make sure I get it right.
    I actually just did the old "look in a mirror while wearing glasses and carefully mark (with a dry erase marker) a spot over each pupil, then measure." That worked, though it may be somewhat less precise than one would prefer. You can also have a local optician do it, but they will likely charge you a small fee. The fact that PD is not automatically included as part of one's eyeglasses prescription makes me violent.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Apparently optician's no longer include that on your prescription because they want to entice you to stay "in-house" and buy from them. Just an fyi if you are in or around a warby parker location - they will measure your PD for free.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TDurden View Post
    Apparently optician's no longer include that on your prescription because they want to entice you to stay "in-house" and buy from them.
    I know and it is what makes me want to slap. As I explained to my optometrist, if he wants me to buy my glasses from him (and all things being equal, I would much rather do so - insurance and all), he needs to offer me good frames at a good price. He offered neither, so I took my business elsewhere. He can't withhold my prescription, because I paid him for it. So he attempted to exert leverage (as they all do) by not including the PD with the prescription. It's bloody outrageous!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I love my Warby Parker's. I ended up having to call customer service because the frame I wanted for home try on was out of stock. The service was fantastic and the representative took my order over the phone.

I'm not sure what quality complaints you guys above are mentioning... I don't think mine could survive being stepped on, but the same could be said for most glasses. The material and construction doesn't seem different from anything I've tried on at the optometrist's office over the years.

As for pupil distance, my optometrist is a nice woman and I just asked her to include my PD last time I got checked out. No extra charge or hassle. Other doctors might not be as great, but it doesn't hurt to ask. A friend of mine also ordered glasses online and I just measured hers with a ruler. I haven't tried this, but WP also has their own app for measuring PD, looks entertaining at least http://pd.warbyparker.com/