Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue or Black Dial?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Blue or Black Dial?

This past week I have been going back and forth on whether to get the Orient Ray in blue or black. Lo and behold, Joe posts on the matter today! Honestly, I think both are great looking for the price point:Black(145.99 via amazon) or Blue(132.99). Plus with my tax refund and $60 in amazon credit I won't end up paying all that much. So what do you think...is the black more versatile? Does the blue pack the wow factor?

Please give me a few more opinions before I make my final purchase. Thanks guys!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    To me, blue and black are equally versatile. Both go equally well on stainless or on a black leather strap... IMO, the black will look a little better on rubber and the blue will look better on brown leather.

I prefer the blue because the color is so well-executed on the Ray and because it makes the watch look a little bit less like so many generic Submariner clones.
    Ben

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    If your outfits often consist of brown shoes and khaki or grey pants, the blue is by far, much more versatile in my opinion.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    Personally, I've been planning on getting the blue when I get the chance to get another watch. Goes much better with brown, if you ask me, which is the strap I'd pick (unless I go burgundy, inspired by that thread about recreating the omega seamaster a while back...). Sure, black will look better on rubber, but uh... are you planning on wearing rubber?

Also, the blue has a bit of "uniqueness" that not everybody has. Both are great watches though.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    When I was looking into watches, I found it easier to find a nice looking cheaper black leather strap watch, so I went with the blue mako because I think blue works slightly better for casual use and the blue looks great with a brown leather strap.

I picked up a Skagen black leather strap watch for $55. Very pleased with both purchases.

My next watch purchase will likely be an orange monster.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by heister View Post
    This whole nonsense about a watch being too formal is garbage.
    That would be an interesting point... if anyone here had accused any particular watch of being too formal.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    This whole nonsense about a watch being too formal is garbage. A watch can only be one thing, too casual and even then its kind of a joke argument. For example I agree with the idea that wearing a rubber nike sports watch with a suit looks stupid. However if you were to wear a patek with gym shorts it would look fine. A watch is one of those few things that can really be used in all situations as long as you get one that isn't a sports watch. Rubber, cloth, even canvas bands are fine to wear with a suit so long as your watch doesn't have as many dials and knobs as a airplane.
    I'm going to have to disagree, in a way. While something minimalist and dressy might not look entirely out of place with a workwear outfit or something similar, you'd be missing a really good opportunity to throw on something a little bit more "interesting" like a dive watch, or even a skele. That is, a good watch that draws attention as a point of interest is a nice thing to have with a casual outfit, but might not fit with a formal one.

For instance, I'd never get something like this for casual wear: http://www.amazon.com/Skagen-858XLGL...795100&sr=1-32

The reason is that, while not "out of place," it's also very "unnoticeable," and let's be honest: We wear watches because we want them to contribute to our style. There are about 500 other ways to tell the time.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    No direct accusations, however everyone knows where the "blue vs black" arguments go. "Black is more formal, but does that mean blue is more versatile? What about how the colors clash with my jacket? Can I wear my Rolex to the bar? Will I look like I am trying to hard if I do?" These are the types of questions that spawn from this type of discussions. Hence why I posted the answer to any and all watch questions. The answer is there is no watch that is too formal, only too casual. On another note anyone who buys one of those "nike or similar sports watches" should have their watch wearing abilities taken away.
    I don't see any sign that's where the discussion was going. And I'm not sure I've really seen any prior "black vs blue" arguments before.... (And I spend an obscene amount of time on watch forums.)

I think the general question was whether either black or blue would be more versatile with a variety of outfits... not an open-ended question as to whether the black Ray is "too formal." Asking whether any dive watch is too formal is a bit of a self-defeating question, anyway....

P.S. While I agree that plastic digital watches are no gift to style, I also know a number of very respectable people who happen to wear plastic digital watches (including a judge I clerked for a while back).
    Ben

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    To me, blue and black are equally versatile. Both go equally well on stainless or on a black leather strap... IMO, the black will look a little better on rubber and the blue will look better on brown leather.

I prefer the blue because the color is so well-executed on the Ray and because it makes the watch look a little bit less like so many generic Submariner clones.
    buffalobills12, I echo everything that BenR said in this post. (Additionally, since this is your thread: please let me know if you'd like me to clean the thread up.)

heister, please tone it down. Sharing an opinion is fine, but please respect that other people will have their own opinions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks for the input BenR, Mikey, Jesot, and Jeff! .Considering the ease of matching things with blue and the fact that I will wear it with the metal bracelet or leather, I will probably jump on the blue. It is especially helpful as I am just building up collection of watches, which is currently limited to:

-Timex weekender(white dial)-blue, red w/ stripes, khaki, and blue w/ stripes bands

-Skagen minimalist..the silver one with blue dials that has been featured in a lot of posts

-Some old dress watch of my father's