4 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue or Black Dial?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    One more question while we are on the subject of the ray: Do I need a certain tool to adjust the chain length on the original watch strap? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks again gents.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    Yes, you will most likely need a link remover. I was fairly successful for a while using an old ice pick and a lot of care, but the remover tools are much easier to use.

I prefer the Paylak link removal tool. It's a bit pricier than the cheap blue versions that you can get for a couple bucks, but it is also way better quality.

Any competent jeweler or watchmaker can resize the bracelet for you for $5-10. If you think you might start collecting more watches, it may be worth it to buy your own tool, but if not, it may be more convenient to just have someone do it for you.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buffalobills12 View Post
    This past week I have been going back and forth on whether to get the Orient Ray in blue or black. Lo and behold, Joe posts on the matter today! Honestly, I think both are great looking for the price point:Black(145.99 via amazon) or Blue(132.99). Plus with my tax refund and $60 in amazon credit I won't end up paying all that much. So what do you think...is the black more versatile? Does the blue pack the wow factor?

Please give me a few more opinions before I make my final purchase. Thanks guys!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846
    Amazon offers free returns on watches, so why not buy both and see which you like in person and return the other one? I have the black arriving today actually, but I think the blue looks great in the pictures I have seen.

As far as black vs. blue and which one is more formal or casual discussion, I’m of the opinion that the dial color doesn’t really make difference if you’re talking about stainless steel bands. I think the watch style makes much more of a difference.

I debated for a while on blue or black for my AT8500 and I went out on a limb and got the blue sight unseen as I only saw the black in person. It’s simply gorgeous and goes with anything and I think it has a little more personality than black. The watch style itself has a little bit of a sporty feel going on, but it’s refined enough to go with a suit and casual enough to dress down. I’m not sure I feel the same way about a dive watch and I don’t see myself wearing it with a suit, so I see that as a strictly casual watch.

Long and the short of it, if you’re set on a dive style watch, just pick the color that you like better because the style has much more of an impact with regards to formality versus the color when you’re talking about black vs blue.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    Honestly, if you're going to pop down over 100 on a watch, just either pay the 13 for a link remover or have a jeweler do it (which is usually pretty cheap; I think I got my steel bracelet actually done for free - and I didn't buy it from the jeweler who shortened it).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)
    *Troll alert* I cant comprehend why you even needed a poll for this. How can you possibly want anything but blue. I mean, what kind of Bills fan are you? IMO blue has the pop of color (& team pride, go Bills) but you still have options for some flair with the black face brown strap mentioned above.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    One more question while we are on the subject of the ray: Do I need a certain tool to adjust the chain length on the original watch strap? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks again gents.
    The pins are just friction fitted. Anything metal, rigid and small enough to fit in the hole will work. Nail, push pin, jewelers screw driver, etc. Pliers and a hammer for those stubborn ones.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    I just returned a blue-faced Hamilton watch. I was convinced that the face of it looked like a decal instead of a real watch at certain angles.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Thanks again gents.
    I used a thumb tack to adjust my mako. Probably but ideal, but I got tired of nut being able to wear the watch and not being able to find a reasonably priced proper tool in a brick and mortar.

Also of note: not sure if the Ray will be the same, but the blue dial was considerably darker than I expected.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Definitely blue. I have a blue faced seiko with stainless steel band and there is literally nothing it doesn't go with. It's kind of like a navy blazer. I could see the black faced one not quite working with certain combinations. Plus if you can have a subtle pop of color in your outfit, you might as well do it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I vote for the Blue Ray. I've had mine for a number of months now and absolutely love it. The blue just has a great depth to it and can appear black in different lighting. I think you'd be happy with it.