Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slim fitting dress/sport shirts...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

Slim fitting dress/sport shirts...

Has anyone else just resigned themselves to having to have all their button up shirts tailored? I'm athletic and a little lanky, but not an overly skinny guy at 6'2", 190-195. Yet I can't find any button ups that aren't ridiculously baggy below my chest (and most could use some work in the chest/arms too). Am I just wildly out of proportion with a 43-44 inch chest and a 37-38 inch waist? And it's only getting worse as I've finally started working out again and losing the 10-15 pounds I've gained over the past year or two.

I know the subject has been beaten to death, but what do other people do to address this? I don't want to spend a fortune, and MTM seems way too expensive for anything beyond very basic solids. I've tried Gap, Banana, Old Navy, JCrew, BB, Jos A. Bank, and pretty much every slim, trim, athletic etc. at Macy's. All of them billow and hang horribly at my waist and back.

So I guess the question is: do I just have to wait for sales and then spend that savings on a tailor? And what should something like that cost? I paid $13 at a dry cleaner, but it was obviously really quick, shoddy work that I could have done myself. I paid a tailor $30, but that seemed pretty steep.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    A 6 inch drop isn't so much that you can't find slim fitting OTR shirts. I'd reccomend looking at H&M shirts for cheap but slimmer than the usual brands or try Banana's new "tailored slim" fit shirts. I believe their original slim fit was 2-3 inches from chest to waist drop and the new tailored slim is 4-5 inches of drop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    6" is nothing. Try dealing with a 10" drop when you're only 5'9.

I can't buy mediums because the sleeves are too long. Smalls are tight in the chest and shoulders, and I still get them tailored to fit at the waist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    The trimmest I've found off the rack are T.M. Lewin's fully fitted shirts. They're incredible. I swore by Charles Tyrwhitt's Tailored fit (more for quality than fit), but there is always extra material at the small of my back. The Lewin shirts are trim through the chest and waist, and have really high armholes to boot. I cannot recommend them enough; they're the only place I plan on buying dress shirts in the future. The downside is shipping from Britain (not usually free from T.M. Lewin like it is from CT), and they don't include the fantastic brass collar stays CT does.

For more casual button down sport shirts, my favorite are the J.Crew factory washed button downs. Again, trim through the chest and waist with pretty high armholes. The one I have is probably my most worn shirt. If you're picky you can snag them for around 25 bucks, too.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    CT's extra slim fits are great, but I don't think my drop is as big.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    bjmcgeever, Don't feel inadequate. I'm sure that your drop is above average.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruschetta View Post
    bjmcgeever, Don't feel inadequate. I'm sure that your drop is above average.
    Also bjm it's not about how big your drop is, but rather how you use it.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    Thanks, guys. That's what my wife keeps telling me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The trimmest shirts I've found are Express ESF. Most of their patterns and colors are...aggressive but they have some decent stuff sometimes and with a buy one get one half off along with a 30 off 75 you can get them for $30 or so.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    TM Lewin has more of a drop in their ESF compared to Charles Tyrwhitt. I give both the nod to buy from on sales. Use their size chart.

@kbrown WAHHHHH, I can't buy anything in S, M , L. You normal armed folks make me shop for tall sizes...and not many places cary that stuff it seems! No pity from me!