Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Casio EF503D: Poor man's (very poor) Speedy - anyone?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    In the $70 Chronograph range I actually think Pulsar watches are better value. That is a nice looking watch, but I don't associate Casio with high quality analog movements. I've gone through quite a few watches over the years including a few Casios. I pretty much wear the same watch daily until it's toast. For me, Timex watches are good for 18 months, the Casios I've owned did not last a year, and my current Pulsar Alarm Chronograph has outlasted 3 bands (going on 4 soon) and a set of batteries in almost 5 years. I've now officially spent more on replacement bands than I did on the watch. I think that is pretty much a record for me, and the only watch that ever came close to holding up that well for me was a $200 Seiko I bought when I was 17. I am sure there are other good quality brands I haven't tried, since I'm a cheap bastard, but given my personal experience, I associate Pulsar/Seiko with quality and durability.

Oh and I always prefer leather bands, but since I wear this watch swimming weekly, I think that has contributed a lot to band attrition, so I'm thinking of going with a mesh SS band for the next one.
    Last edited by mattface; May 20th, 2013 at 11:19 AM.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    I've had my EF-503D for about 2 years and it's still going strong. No regrets. In fact, I'm considering buying a second one in blue.

WRT Matt's comment about Casio vs. Pulsar, I have to disagree. Pulsar is a cheaper sub-brand of Seiko and, with the exception of a rather famous UK military-issue chronograph they do, their watches are not especially high quality in my experience. I'm sure the movements are fine, since they are Seiko movements, but the watches themselves have cheap features (folded bracelets and subpar lume, for example) and tend to be cheap-looking. I bought a Pulsar chrono that I wore once before flipping... that's how unimpressed I was with the overall build, look, and feel of the watch.

Casio isn't well known as a "watchmaker" because they don't make any mechanical movements. Their analog watches are also overshadowed by the fame of the G-Shock. But Casio's reputation for analog watches, both from my personal experience and my observation of others', is of simplicity and toughness. I know folks over on Watchuseek who have owned the same Casio AMW "Arnie" for decades without problems. The Edifice series is Casio's line of higher-tech chronographs, including their highest-end offerings from the now-defunct Oceanus line (~$1000 high-end quartz watches). Most of them are more "techy" looking, more expensive, and have more features than the EF-503D. But the 503 is by far the best-looking.

I recommend the 503 a lot on Watchuseek because I think it's such a good value piece for the money. IMO, probably the best value in a quartz watch you can readily find for ~$75. There are a few others on the forum who own the watch as well, and I've not heard any negative comments about it.

I've had good experiences with Casio products all my life. I'm still using the same electronic Casio keyboard my parents bought me for my 4th birthday. My dad - a carpenter and volunteer fireman - uses a 6-year-old Casio phone that has survived, among other things, a dunk in a bucket of paint. Casio is to electronics how Yamaha is to machines, they do a bit of everything... except that Casio is actually good at the things they do, while Yamaha is just mediocre.
    Ben

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Thanks for the updates and comments on this- I'm sold on it and since I already have a modest collection, this won't get worn daily so the wear will be minimal-

No matter how hard I try, I always seem to find something on this forum that peaks my interest and empties my wallet!

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    I frankly can't believe that Casio makes such an attractive watch. Both the black and white faced models look excellent in the pictures posted in this thread.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    Maybe the problem with my perspective on casios is that all the ones I've owned were from when I was buying cheap watches, and the cheap Casios were cheap. I seem to recall one that quit working after about 2 months. Not a dead battery mind you, just plain dead. It was also insanely ugly, but that owed something to the fashions at the time.

As for the Pulsar I own, I know it's a less expensive sub brand of Seiko, but for my money it's not lesser quality in any way than other Quartz Seikos I've looked at, in fact, the case, which is the primary difference has held up better than the aforementioned Seiko. That might owe something to me no longer being 18 though. I'm certainly not a watch aficionado, although I would like to be. The Pulsar I now wear was a step up from the Timexes I had been buying, were a stepup from the Casios and off branded watches I bought before that. Spending a little more on my watches has proven worthwhile, and I expect my next watch will probably be a modest step up from this one, but here's the crazy thing. I'm accustomed to needing a new watch every 18 months or so, but even though I WANT another one I really have no good reason to replace this one yet, and THAT has been a very worthwhile upgrade.

FWIW, the Pulsar I own is no longer available, and I really can't find another one I like as much. Stylewise, this one just sort of hit my sweet spot. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the brand again, but would likely spend more to get another watch I like as much.
    Last edited by mattface; May 20th, 2013 at 04:58 PM.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruschetta View Post
    I frankly can't believe that Casio makes such an attractive watch. Both the black and white faced models look excellent in the pictures posted in this thread.
    I know- I was astounded when I saw the how nice it looked. Sure it is Casio's interpretation of the speedy- but to that I say, it's the look and quality function that I like- not the name that's on it. That coupled with the solid endorsements from here and other places- has convinced me to grow the collection yet again- but after this I'm done with watches for a while!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajk170 View Post
    but after this I'm done with watches for a while!
    I say this to myself all the time. Never works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Can anyone comment on the ticking for this watch? I have a weekender and the only complaint i have about it is the ticking sound. Does anyone know if this one is lounder, quieter, or just about the same when compared to the timex?

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    Much quieter. Timex makes notoriously loud watches.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    560 Post(s)
    The cheap Timex's are the only watches I've found so far with the loud ticking noise. Not sure if the low end on some of these other companies do the same.