Thread: Looking for my first watch

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Question Looking for my first watch

I am in the market for a watch, and I am looking for something like a field watch with a fairly minimalist design, preferably no bigger than 42mm with my smaller than average wrists. This will be my first watch, and I want something that will go with just about anything in the casual to “smart casual” range. I am partial to the brown leather strap although I realize that I can always buy a new strap. This is the main one I have been looking at albeit a little pricey: http://hamiltonwatch.com/en/gents/kh...40mm/H70595523 Buying a leather strap for something like this Seiko might be a cheaper option to consider: http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-Sport-Au...pd_sim_watch_5 As someone who has never bought a watch before, I was hoping to get another opinion. Also, I like the white or beige colored dial better than black, but will the beige dial will be as versatile as white or black? (If I spend $500 on a watch I want it to be versatile)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Any help would be appreciated.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    For a first time watch buyer you have great taste. Hamilton makes a great watch. I own a Jazzmaster Viewmatic, and love it. I have passed on many more expensive watches because the Hamilton is so damn good.

I agree that the white dial will be more versatile. I believe the model you posted is also available with a white face.

As for this comparison are you buying on price or cost? The Seiko will be cheaper, but the Hamilton is built better and it is a watch you can be proud of and hand down to your kids later on in life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I love Hamilton history and since they are part of swatch corp, you are getting a well built unit.

I love seiko Sarb 035 for right under 500 but it does not have the military touches likt the ones you picked out have.

Out of those 2 I'd say hammy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think most of the lower end Seiko's are pretty blah. They're well-made for the price, but the designs aren't really all that exciting. This one is no exception.

That Hamilton, on the other hand, looks pretty awesome if you can afford it.

I don't really think about matching my watch too much -- especially with a casual outfit. The beige wouldn't be an issue for me.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1048 Post(s)
    Amazon seems to have the best deals on Hamilton watches and that is where I got mine. Are you looking for an automatic or will quartz do? Quartz will save you money if you can take the tick.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    Amazon seems to have the best deals on Hamilton watches and that is where I got mine. Are you looking for an automatic or will quartz do? Quartz will save you money if you can take the tick.
    I am far from a watch snob, but if you don't have the cash for an automatic Hammy then I suggest looking for a different quartz watch. If I was going to buy a quartz watch I would prefer a Japanese quartz watch.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    http://www.christopherward-usa.com/ Take a look here. They are a smaller shop and do ZERO advertising/marketing therefore they do not have to jack up the costs, they also do not sell in shops so they have no middle man. They get great reviews from owners at Watch Freaks.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    I don't think there's anything wrong with a quartz Hammy if that's what you want and you can get a decent price for it (<$300). I've got a quartz Hamilton Khaki Navy Sub and it's a good watch for the price I paid. Better features than most Japanese quartz watches at the same price: Domed sapphire crystal, decent lume, solid bracelet and end-links, machined clasp, 200m WR, internal and external bezels, diver's extension, screw-down crowns and caseback. The entry-level Swiss quartz movements I've seen tend to have a little more "slop" in the second hand than comparable Japanese ones, but are similar in overall robustness and accuracy.

If you want a high-quality field watch, I'd second the recommendation to take a look at Christopher Ward. I don't have any personal experience with them but they get a lot of rave reviews on the watch forums. Along with Hamilton, Tissot, and VSA, they are probably considered one of the "entry level" luxury Swiss watchmakers.

As far as dial color goes, I suspect a black field watch will be more versatile than beige. You could dress up a black field watch with a nice black leather strap, or dress it down on brown leather or nylon. A beige field watch can dress down but I have a hard time seeing it working on a black croc-grain strap with a suit.
    Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks guys. I looked at Christopher Ward, and although I liked their watches, there wasn't a particular one that caught my eye. I think I would really prefer making the investment for the automatic, too, just because I think it would be really neat to have. I am still leaning towards the brown strap, beige dial Hamilton; I don't really need to be able to make it work with a suit because I never really have need to wear one as a college student. The one exception to this is that I wear a tuxedo a couple of times a year for concerts (I am in my university's wind ensemble), but I am not worried about having a watch to wear for these occasions. As long as it looks nice enough with chinos and a navy or gray sportcoat then I should be fine. As far as black-face watches go, I really like this one: http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en/gent...40mm/H70595593 although I wish it came with a darker strap to match with a belt and shoes. Also, this self-winding mechanical has a nice face: http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en/gent...icer/H69519533 Obviously, I really like the Hamiltons! I like Victorinox, too, but most of the automatics are out of my price range.