Thread: Banana Republic coats

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Banana Republic coats

Hey guys, it's been too long since I last posted here. :/

Anyways, I just wanted some quick advice on Banana Republic coats. My brother lives in Wisconsin and said he's in need of a peacoat. They're pretty expensive, so I wasn't sure I could afford it until I realized my younger brother gets a discount at Banana Republic, and he would be willing to share the cost with me. So do you guys have any recommendations in the $250 or less range? He specifically mentioned a peacoat, but I bet another style would be okay as well. I'm from California, so I don't really get the whole 'winter coat' thing. And if it helps, I believe is workplace is fairly casual.

Here's the one I was looking at:
    http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...&pid=428558002

Thanks!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it's great if he like the navy color, fits great and solid fabric. i don' know what discount you have, but wait until at least 40% off, the have had that pretty frequently in the last month.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I happen to have that navy BR peacoat--got it on Black Friday for 40% off. I couldn't be happier with it! I live in the south so the winters aren't extreme, so I can't speak to how it holds up in harsh cold--but 80% wool would seem to be a good start. The best part for me is the cut; I tried on the medium and large (I'm 5'10" and 180 pounds, average build, not slim or stocky) and the large was way too big, and had much too long sleeves. The medium had the perfect length and a tailored fit. And the icing on the cake was the buttons...instead of going straight down in a vertical line, which can make you look stockier, they're tapered inward, which is slimming.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Got the Academy Peacoat from Ralph Lauren last February after my previous peacoat was stolen at a club (3 person joint birthday party...things got a little crazy). Back then, I was able to snag it for $150 thanks to the main page, but it comes in at $225 currently. (Full price $495). I really love it; best fitting pea coat I have had, keeps me warm (although doesnt have thinsulate or anything like that, which you may find at JCrew). I can layer plenty underneath, although a suit with mid-to-substantial shoulder padding would prolly be too much. I got the size M in navy (which is a lighter blue than a lot of navy coats, really like it actually). I am 5'9", about 175 or 180, 40R, 34 waist. Hope this helps!

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...uctId=13311942

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks guys! I'm gonna go to the store and try it on. My brother is a few inches taller than me, but overall a similar build, so that will give me an idea of sizing. He's about 6'0" and probably 150-160 lbs)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    BR's line has become increasingly worse in terms of quality and fit. I can't speak for that peacoat, but definitely check Target for their Merona Pea coat for anywhere from $40-60. I'm about 5'11" 160lbs and a small fits me near perfectly, just a little short on the length but i have an abnormally long torso. The Merona peacat has been mentioned before on dappered as well.