Thread: What do you use to stay organized at work?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What do you use to stay organized at work?

I've made a commitment to myself to use my time more efficiently at work. I find myself coming into work and getting caught up in day-to-day operations as opposed to "big picture" goals/projects. I've started with simply planning out my schedule on a piece of paper, allocating time for each day of the week ahead with day-to-day tasks as well as long term goals.

If you use a planner or some sort of paper-based organizing contraption, what do you use? I'm looking for a slim planner for work. I've looked at a lot of Franklin Coveys, but they all seem very clunky and thick to me.

Any suggestions?

Ian

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Love this post. I use a clunky DayRunner and am trying to wean myself to my ipad but having a hard time. Would love to hear suggestions as well

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1096 Post(s)
    If what you have planned for the day doesn't fit on a Post-It note you probably won't get it done. My organization is diligently cleaning my inbox of all the crap I'm CC'd on which I have no use for and then I have some papers to the side which relate to other items I am working on. My boss loves hard copies so I always get one but with notes he makes. I am a Sr. Financial Analyst and my 95% of my job is Ad Hoc reporting from requests we get in.

One thing that has helped a ton is learning to use excel with minimal mouse clicking...if your job involves that. It takes some practice but when you go back to using your mouse out of laziness you realize how much slower the process is with a mouse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    I use Things for Mac and iOS. Live in that app.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    @kevinD Glad you're along for the journey my friend! I don't know exactly what requirements you have for a slim planner, but I've been looking at some from Moleskine. Slim, simple, and cheap. They come in soft and hard cover as well as daily, weekly or monthly options in a variety of sizes.

@JBarwick, I hear what you're saying. I have a similar system for cleaning out my own inbox. There's no better feeling than having an organized inbox. Like you, I also use Excel on a daily basis. I've saved the most time in Excel by learning how to use the Macro recorder for repetitive tasks.

@devirkahan, I'll check out Things for my Mac at home. Unfortunately I run windows at work.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I work along the lines of what JBarwick said. I have a pad of post-it notes next to my computer, and if I don't want to forget to do something, I scribble it down there. The problem with keeping a detailed schedule of what you want to do in a week is you rarely end up doing more. I've carried a planner around to write meeting information, flight details, things like that, but never stick with it because it doesn't add that much.

Without knowing what you do, if your daily work schedule is full of day-to-day stuff and you have no time for anything else, sounds like it isn't YOUR problem so much as the organization... (which is by no means a unique problem)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)
    I use a mixture of google calendar that I put everything (EVERYTHING) in so I don't forget and Dropbox. I use a variety of different computers and devices in a day so Dropbox is a great way to keep the documents I need between each computer. I also usually keep a running to-do list in there.
    "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    When the stack of papers next to my 4 monitors gets too high, I usually push them by arm-full into the nearest trash receptacle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Personal : Dropbox for documents, Remember The Milk for tasks, Google Calendar for important appointments
    Work : Outlook calendar for appointments, pad of paper for notes, tasks and other stuff.
    Last edited by Jessy Diamond; December 11th, 2012 at 02:50 PM.