Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What brand names to look for at Thrift stores?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What brand names to look for at Thrift stores?

after reading a thread here, I went thrift hunting for a couple of weekend shirts today.

I ended up with a Eddie Bauer and Cactus Clothing (never heard of this brand) long sleeve button down shirts.
    Cost $5.98

Also found a Timberland shirt for our 13 yr old son.
    Cost $.99

My question is:
    What brand names do you look for when thrift shopping?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I don't really look for brand names, as long as it fits I sits.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    I don't really look for specific brands, because they can vary widely. I look first for material used (100% wool for sportcoats, for example) and if it fits. Then think about styling -- what would you wear this with? To where, and to do what? Lastly, do you need it? I have ended up thrifting a lot of brands I never heard of (Club Room, for example) or that I thought weren't good (Lauren Ralph Lauren) but if it's a nice material, it fits well, and I would wear it, I'll take it home.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    +1

About as good as it gets in terms of an all around guide to thrifting.

Most people who thrift regularly, myself included, tend to follow the rule, if you like a piece, and it fits you, buy it.

The problem with this philosophy is that as you learn about the higher tier brands, you always get that nagging feeling "Why am I spending [X amount] on an [insert low end department store] OCBD when tomorrow I could just as well find a [insert high end men's brand] OCBD that fits me just as well if not better for the exact same price?"

I've heard the admonition "If you buy everything that fits you, you're going to fill up your closet really fast" a lot. Fortunately (or unfortunately) for me, I'm solidly above average in height so running into staples like shirts or pants of any variety in my exact size is like running into solid gold.

At the end of the day though buy things that you like, especially if it fills a hole in your wardrobe. But it's always worth it to keep in mind higher end brand names because, if you're like me, something that is really close to fitting you AND is a brand with an obscene retail value can easily swing from a "gee if only the sleeves were an eighth of an inch longer" to a "great googly moogly nobody is going to notice."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm looking more for high end names - the jewel so to speak. I wear a Medium shirt (or 16-32/33), and one store yesterday only had a few shirts even though they had lots of other shirts.

ie. Nautica, Eddie Bauer, Dockers, JoS A Banks (dress shirts and suits). Van Heusen has some nice shirts too.

Personally I will not buy the Walmart Faded Glory brand (or like) when I can search a little longer to find the EB and Timberland brands.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, now I take back what i said after I just read here about labels:

http://thriftygent.com/how-to-thrift-labels/

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)
    One tip. Go into a high-end menswear store and look at all the brands — hell, even some Marshalls would work. That will recalibrate what you're looking for, I think.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Here's another guide from Put This On (IMO, they're a little haughty but good info nonetheless)
    http://putthison.com/post/1454913425...hrifting-suits

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonATL View Post
    One tip. Go into a high-end menswear store and look at all the brands — hell, even some Marshalls would work. That will recalibrate what you're looking for, I think.
    >_> Or read several thousand pages of the Thrift Bragging Thread over at StyleForum (that's what I did). <_<