Thread: Where to get high-quality shoe brushes?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

Where to get high-quality shoe brushes?

I spent last evening and this morning making the rounds through my shoes, polishing them all (or at least the ones that needed it). Everything goes just fine, but the process would go faster if I had some good brushes. Right now I'm using the rough side of polishing rags to achieve the same result, but it's slower. So... Any good brush recommendations out there?

And FWIW, the single biggest improvement I've seen on most pairs has been when I added edge dressing to the soles. All the polish is the world doesn't do a bit of good when the the sole edges look like they've seen some miles, and edge dressing works SO well. It's a night and day difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I think most 100% horsehair brushes are generally the same. Just adding brushing in addition to going over with a polishing rag adds a little bid more shine.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    Well my polishing rags have a rough and soft side. For most shoes, I just use the rough side. For those that I want a super shine on, I follow up with the soft side. The rag seems to do the job well enough. It's just slow and tiresome.

And FWIW, this whole thread is a backup plan. I've put a shoe valet kit on my Christmas wish list so this whole conversation is moot is I get it. But if I don't, I've already got all the polish I need and I keep everything in a bag. I just need brushes. (Well, applicator brushes would be nice, too, now that I think of it.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    @alan Where are you looking for valets? I'm trying to get a decently put together starter set, and I've found the one at the hangar project http://www.hangerproject.com/closet/...arter-kit.html . Should I keep looking or is it about as good as I'll find?

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    I picked up some horsehair brushes from AE last time they were running a sale. I had to get a different one for each color of polish because they said it would transfer over if I tried using the same brush for black polish and then with walnut polish.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    @dstepner: It certainly looks like high quality. On quality alone, I'm not sure you can do any better. However, the valet in that set is rather small so it may be difficult to add anything to it if you expand your kit. I'm also not a fan of the price. Maybe it's worth that much (hard to say), but it would be hard for me to justify paying more for a kit than I've ever spent on a single pair of shoes. None of the kits on my list are as complete as the one you showed, but that just leaves more room to customize.

The one at the top of my list is this one from Brooks Brothers:
    http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Cedar-...efault,pd.html

It's a simple starter, but there's plenty of room left inside the box if you want to add more to it. It's still pricey, but it's $100 less than the one you pointed out. You can flesh out the rest of a great kit and keep $50+ in your pocket. And I can't find dimensions on either set of brushes, but the BB brushes appear to be larger. Larger brushes are easier to hold and should finish a job faster.

My runners up...

I've found very little info on this and the valet is relatively small, but the price sure is right and it comes with cream polish (rather than the paste that some kits provide):
    http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/synovia-...=&resultback=0

While shoe snobs might scoff at Kiwi, it's served our fathers just fine for decades. The box is a good size, too. And the price is very competitive:
    http://www.shoebuy.com/kiwi-select-s...-%7Bkeyword%7D

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not sure about the whole kit but nothing wrong with the kiwi brush at all. I have a rather ancient one I use on my 1ks after every few wears.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    I picked up most of my shoe shine supplies from the AE sales. Everything gets dirt cheap - like $2-$3 per brush.