Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help picking Allen Edmonds for J Crew Factory Thompson Blue and Grey suits

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Help picking Allen Edmonds for J Crew Factory Thompson Blue and Grey suits

Hey guys! Just picked up the J Crew Factory blue and grey suits (which I love). I thought it would be nice and pick up some Allen Edmonds to go along with them as an early Christmas present to myself. Any thoughts on a style/color that would work for both color suits would be great. Also if there is a pair that would be solid with jeans as well (as in one pair working for suits and jeans), that would be a real winner. But the suits are the priority. Thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    What environment do you intend to wear the suits in? There are plenty of shoes that can be worn with both suits and jeans, but they'll bring down the formality of the suit in the process. Also, are you willing to pay full price (keeping all options open) or are you looking for deals?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    My votes (in order)...

Strand Bourbon Calf:
    http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...40000000001_-1

McAllister with Combination Tap Sole:

Hamptons Brown Burnished Calf/Brown Grain Leather:

None of these are particularly awesome for jeans, but they'll work in a pinch - particularly the Strands. The first two are in colors you don't see everyday, and the third pair is just an odd bird, but I just got a pair for myself and they're quickly becoming one of my favorites.
    Last edited by alan; December 6th, 2012 at 05:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Depending on how light the Factory Thompson gray is, you might be able to get away with Walnut, too. But those Bourbon Strands are gorgeous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the links, Alan. Just saw the option to see pants on top of the shoe. Pretty helpful.

Well right now I work in a pretty casual environment (engineering). They would probably only be worn to weddings/feel like really dressing up for going out (with jeans). I am going to start an MBA program in the fall next year, so eventually into a position where a suit might be more the norm. So something comfy (rubber sole maybe?), yet nice for suits. So most formal for the suits would be a wedding. Deal would be nice, but again, I'll pay full-price to get something I'm going to use/like for years to come.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilaustino View Post
    Well right now I work in a pretty casual environment (engineering). They would probably only be worn to weddings/feel like really dressing up for going out (with jeans). I am going to start an MBA program in the fall next year, so eventually into a position where a suit might be more the norm. So something comfy (rubber sole maybe?), yet nice for suits. So most formal for the suits would be a wedding. Deal would be nice, but again, I'll pay full-price to get something I'm going to use/like for years to come.
    I work in finance, so if that's where you're looking to end up, I have to say it'll be hard to wear any of Alan's recs. Those are all great shoes and will work with jeans or a suit to a wedding, but the finance world tends to be awfully conservative (and awfully dressed for the most part). You're really looking at styling with no broguing (Fifth Ave's, possibly Park Ave's, etc). The problem is that these shoes are more formal and can look out of place with jeans and a more dressed down look. Sorry dude. You may want to sit tight until the next Allen Edmonds 2 for 300 sale and grab a pair of Strands and a pair of park aves.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AJG Esq View Post
    I work in finance, so if that's where you're looking to end up, I have to say it'll be hard to wear any of Alan's recs. Those are all great shoes and will work with jeans or a suit to a wedding, but the finance world tends to be awfully conservative (and awfully dressed for the most part). You're really looking at styling with no broguing (Fifth Ave's, possibly Park Ave's, etc). The problem is that these shoes are more formal and can look out of place with jeans and a more dressed down look. Sorry dude. You may want to sit tight until the next Allen Edmonds 2 for 300 sale and grab a pair of Strands and a pair of park aves.
    A valid observation, though there's no harm in getting some brogues now and some plain cap toes later. Even if he ends up in banking, that's nearly 3 years away.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Strand Bourbon Calf:

I approve of this suggestion. I own walnut Strands, and wear them with suits and jeans. Bourbon would work even better IMO.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    If you're looking for a deal, you can contact the Allen Edmonds Shoe Bank in Wisconsin and see if they have any more Brooks Brothers "seconds". They're the shoes that they make for BB that got rejected for one reason or another and are now sold at discount. They offer Strands, McAllisters, and a couple of others from AE's "Classics" collection. They won't be the unusual colors, but still made in walnut, brown, and black. They all have combo soles, too. Sometimes they have serious flaws and have to go back. Other times, you can't seem to find the flaw with a magnifying glass. It's a bit of a gamble, but it always comes with a guaranteed discount.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks all for the great responses. Definitely got me going down the right path.

As far as the seconds go, is it a final sale thing? Or can you return things no problem? I've also never tried on a pair, so I wouldn't know what size to get. Typically wear a 13 in tennis shoes and 12-12.5 in dress shoes.