Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Cocktail

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)
    I would also recommend trying both manhattans and old fashioneds sans fruit. It is supposedly the original recipe and they are delicious.
    "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by greg_s View Post
    I would also recommend trying both manhattans and old fashioneds sans fruit. It is supposedly the original recipe and they are delicious.
    Seconded. I'm not opposed to having them with fruit, but it turns it into a different drink. Both of these, the Old Fashioned especially, are great ways to get your palate adjusted to drinking liquor neat.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Yeah, I've researched Old Fashioneds quite a little bit, as I've enjoyed them at home the past few years. Funny how a simple, *foundational* drink can have so many variations of build, eh?:

Rye, Bourbon, Canadian, blended - sugar cube, sugar packet, simple syrup - no-fruit, fruit, way-too-much fruit - cherry, orange, lemon, etc. - peel, slice, twist, flamed - no soda, teaspoon of soda, splash of soda, tons of soda - 0, 1, 2, 3 dash(es) of bitters, etc.

When I say *muddle* I mean the sugar and the bitters, mostly. Although I do use fruit in both too. Just depends on what I have at the time, and how I'm feeling at that particular moment.

The biggest issue I have with many bars, regarding these two fave drinks of mine, are the lack of bitters. Such an important part of the drinks' makeup. I don't get it. You're an establishment designed to make and serve drinks, and you don't have a bottle of bitters? Weird.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    BTW, I have a sneaky feeling you fellas might watch *Mad Men*, so you may already be hip to this scene, but it's still a great one. It shows our boy Drapes, making himself and Connie Hilton one seriously watered-down, heavily bittered-up Old Fashioned. Still, I'd drink it, if he made me one. What a cool cat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VpgEHsPc7I

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Ginger ale is one of my favorite mixers. Ginger ale and fresh squeezed lime goes with all kinds of liquors. Tuaca, ginger ale, and lime is probably my favorite semi-girly mixed drink. Best with higher quality ginger ales - Hansen's is pricey but has a really nice, spicy ginger kick to it.
    Dark and stormies are a nice variation on this theme. Dark rum and ginger beer (something zippy like Reed's is best), garnish with lime. Pretty damn good.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    I've been wanting to make Dark & Stormies for a while. Need to get my hands on some ginger beer.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoyorobbo View Post
    Mostly Manhattans.
    I've been making a Manhattan lately that is incredible. It's 2 parts rye (bourbon will work, too), 1/2 part sweet vermouth (Punt e Mes or Cocchi Vermouth di Torino is what I use, 'cause they're tasty and why not be a snob about it?), 1/2 part Gran Clasico, few dashes of aromatic bitters. Pour above over ice, stir, strain into cocktail glass(es) and garnish with a Maraschino cherry. Son of a biscuit, that's a good drink. I like it, the wife likes it, if you like Manhattans, you'll probably like it too. I've heard of a bar calling something like this a scarcrow. Do with that information what you will.
    Protip: use real Luxardo maraschino cherries (http://www.amazon.com/Luxardo-Gourme.../dp/B001CDOBCM). They have real flavor (beyond just cloyingly sweet) and they're such a dark red they're almost black, so they look cooler in your drink than those neon grocery store things we're all used to.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)
    @Shomas, very similar to my manhattans of late. But I'll have to try with the addition of gran clasico. Also great call on the dark and stormy, I love those.
    "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    I've been put off recently by vermouth's. Used to enjoy the flavor more but for whatever reason I am enjoying Manhattans made without vermouth much more such as Lillett, Chartreuse, St. Germaine, and just about any Italian liqueur (Aperol, Campari, Galliano, Cynar, etc.). In general I've definitely veered more towards rifts on the traditional Old Fashioned with different flavored simple syrups and adding just a touch of various flavoring formats. I'm actually steeping a ton of ingredients right now to make my own set of bitters. I have 10-12 ingredients steeping individually in high proof alcohol and will start combining soon. I'll take pics and report back.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)
    @tdig, please do report back! I'd love to hear your process for making bitters and how it turns out.