Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Cocktail

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BA View Post
    If you have a decent bartender, a Negroni, or specifically a Cornwall Negroni is always good.
    How do you know if the bartender's good when visiting a new place?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    Been experimenting with St. Germain - an elderberry liquor from France. Extremely refreshing taste. Goes well with standard mixers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessy Diamond View Post
    How do you know if the bartender's good when visiting a new place?
    You can usually tell by glancing at the cocktail menu. If it is featured prominently and doesn't have things like Maui Zowie Zombie Long Island Iced Tea on it, you should be ok. Also, observing the bar for a second before you order is also a good idea--if the staff look overwhelmed or intimidated, chances are they are new or not up to speed. I usually sit at the bar for a drink if I can as most of the bartenders I've encountered are pretty excited about talking about different concoctions if you show an interest beyond the usual brown or clear plus soda. Any place that is slammed busy I usually just get a premium beer since the cocktail will prob be sloppily or badly prepared. But I'm way more partial to more laid back bars/restaurants anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Grey Goose and ginger ale is my go to for most places.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    Whiskey Sour
    Gin & 7
    Rye & Ginger

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2074 Post(s)
    Ginger ale is one of my favorite mixers. Ginger ale and fresh squeezed lime goes with all kinds of liquors. Tuaca, ginger ale, and lime is probably my favorite semi-girly mixed drink. Best with higher quality ginger ales - Hansen's is pricey but has a really nice, spicy ginger kick to it.

I also enjoy a [fill in the blank] sour as long as the "sour" is homemade - fresh lemon or lime juice with simple syrup, rather than lemon-lime soda. I liked amaretto sours a lot when I was in college, and now I enjoy a nice whisky sour.

To me, mixed drinks are like cooking - the fresher and simpler the ingredients, the better it will taste.
    Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Rusty Nail. Scotch and Drambruie.
    "We had a sick night b*tches!"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I always ask for a Moscow Mule but most places can't make it, so it's a gin and tonic or Knob Creek and Coke

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)
    Sazerac is currently my favorite. Though that's probably more of a cocktail and less of a mixed drink if we're splitting hairs. I make a lot of my own liqueurs which is very easy and they lend themselves very well to mixing. Currently going to try a basil vodka gimlet this weekend. Also making a lemongrass ginger liqueur that I think will make a mean gimlet.

Whatever the drink I like it to highlight, rather than mask, the flavor of the liquor.
    "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Mostly Manhattans.

My dad digs them too, so it's nice to make us both one, whenever my parents are over. There's some further family history with them too, as his mom (my Grandma) used to make a pitcher of the darn things (IIRC), and she'd often serve them up, with extra cherries, when we would visit her. That was a quite a while ago, so the details are dusty, but the memory is still there.

Old Fashioneds are great too, but many bars hose them up pretty badly. I like to make them at home, when I have the time to *muddle* and such.

In the summer, I like to make myself a Negroni, and chill by the pool.

I did the gin&tonic thing back in the '90s, but have switched from tonic to club soda for a mixer in most cases requiring one; usually a whisky/bourbon based drink.

All of that being said, my most frequent alcoholic drink choice is whisky (bourbon, Canadian, rye) - usually on the rocks; neat if I wanna warm up.