Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Cocktail

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    A Moscow Mule with Rye instead of vodka is very good.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    If you aren't using cubed sugar then no real reason to strain this version into a new glass. Just build it in your serving glass. (you said you were lazy )

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tdig View Post
    If you aren't using cubed sugar then no real reason to strain this version into a new glass. Just build it in your serving glass. (you said you were lazy )
    Was that a reply to me? I strain out the ice.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAD91 View Post
    I've been tinkering with a twist on an Old Fashioned. I won't claim originality, since it's a simple drink and I'm guessing most variations have been done by someone, but I had the goals of 1) no sugar and 2) easy to make / ingredients that don't go bad.

(I'm lazy and watching my weight)

3 oz Rittenhouse Rye
    5 drops of Stevia
    3 shakes of Fee Brothers West Indies Orange Bitters (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A1SLZ9G/)

Pour over ice, stir, and strain into a glass with a Luxardo cherry.

If you like the occasional Old Fashioned, but rarely have oranges on hand and aren't big on glucose, I recommend you give it a try.
    Nice, Mike! I too have tried a take on the no-sugar Old Fashioned (Whiskey Sour, as well). I used Truvia (a sorta granular Stevia leaf sweetener) in place of sugar or simple syrup. It wasn't perfect, by any means, but it did the job, especially if you are used to using such a sweetener in normal practice.

Good idea on the orange bitters. I have some, but they're the cheap-O Collins plastic squeeze bottle, and actually don't seem to be very good. I need to get me some more proper bitters, besides just the normal Angustura aromatic ones. Fee Bros is good? What about any other orange bitters? Anyone else have any favorites?

Off to the liquor store... "we haven't -- a moment -- to lose!!!"

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The Stevia is nice because it is a liquid with a dropper in the lid... Just very simple for coffee, tea or cocktails. I think Truvia is more common for baking, right? I wonder if you could make a simple syrup out of Truvia...

Fee Brothers stuff seems pretty good to me, but I'm not an expert. With the West Indian Orange, you can really smell the orange. So far, I'm really enjoying it. I also have their Old Fashioned Bitters, and I honestly can't find a cocktail I prefer it over Angostura. The taste isn't bad, just different, and I can't find a good use for it. If you're looking for one, I'd definitely recommend the orange I linked to before (I think they have a couple).

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    For orange bitters I would most highly recommend Regans or Angustora Orange.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)
    I'm currently enjoying a grandfather: 1 part bourbon, 1 part applejack (using Lairds apple brandy, actually), and 1 part sweet vermouth. Couple dashes of Angostura and Peychauds bitters, respectively. Stir and garnish with a maraschino cherry.

Not so springy, I admit, but pretty nice nonetheless.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shomas View Post
    I'm currently enjoying a grandfather: 1 part bourbon, 1 part applejack (using Lairds apple brandy, actually), and 1 part sweet vermouth. Couple dashes of Angostura and Peychauds bitters, respectively. Stir and garnish with a maraschino cherry.

Not so springy, I admit, but pretty nice nonetheless.
    Almost an American Trilogy which is typically 1 part bourbon, 1 part applejack, 1 sugar cube and a dash of orange bitters.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tdig View Post
    Almost an American Trilogy which is typically 1 part bourbon, 1 part applejack, 1 sugar cube and a dash of orange bitters.
    ...and now I know what I'm drinking tonight. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I love dirty martinis and pomegranate margaritas!