Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How long did it take you to feel comfortable with your personal style?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    I've gotten lots of good tips around here.. dark jeans.. ditching hoodies.short sleeve button ups. etc but I still have a hold up with some things mainly sportcoats. Nobody wears blazers where I live and as much as I think they look awesome I can't bring myself to invest the dough in them when I know I won't feel comfortable in thet work it would be ridiculously overdressed the ceo .wears khakis and polos . even though its an office and a fortune 500.. and out on town it would be the same.. thus I'm stuck on that one.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    I like to believe I've always been comfortable dressing as I want - it's about confidence. At least since my late teens. The only worry I sometimes have is about quality and fit - when I'm not able to afford something of the best quality or have the fit just right.

But basic look - no problem. Here's an example - I had these pants made for myself in college because it's how I wanted to look. https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...12176939_n.jpg

I guess in my life for various reasons I've stood out a little, so standing out in dress is not a problem.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleNelly View Post
    I've gotten lots of good tips around here.. dark jeans.. ditching hoodies.short sleeve button ups. etc but I still have a hold up with some things mainly sportcoats. Nobody wears blazers where I live and as much as I think they look awesome I can't bring myself to invest the dough in them when I know I won't feel comfortable in thet work it would be ridiculously overdressed the ceo .wears khakis and polos . even though its an office and a fortune 500.. and out on town it would be the same.. thus I'm stuck on that one.
    I honestly had a hard time adjusting to wearing a blazer to work, so I understand where you're coming from. I felt like a schmuck in the beginning because most of the people I work with pay little to no attention to the way they dress. My boss is a VP, and wears one of 3 different Calvin Klein dress shirts from Costco. The reason I know that? I bought the same ones for business travel about 2 years ago, to avoid messing up some of my more expensive shirts. His boss wears shirts that were obviously tailored by the same guy who designed the sleeves on Gandolf's wizard robe (i.e. so baggy, you could park a mini-cooper in side one of them).

The first few weeks were uncomfortable to the point where people I joke around with in the office would ask what I'm all dressed up for, asking if I had an interview, etc. I would quickly smirk and dodge the question, rather than saying "my triple pleated, extra baggy, Old Navy cargo pants are at the cleaners." Eventually they'll get used to it, and you'll feel more comfortable, unless of course you're hell-bent on pea-cocking (aka, wearing ostentatious clothing / being starved for attention in general) For more information on pea-cocking, check here: http://www.thestyleblogger.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I wasn't too comfortable with it until I started interacting with patients. It's pretty amazing how much more trust, comfort and communication there is when your clinician is dressed in a more professional manner. The way patients interacted with me was almost night and day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hmm I've never really thought about that, but I think it took a couple of weeks to get fully comfortable after I first started. Though, I was taking light steps rather than leaps when I started 2 years ago. Began with t-shirts, casual jeans, chuck taylor sneakers, and hoodies, and slowly incorporated cardigans, more casual oxford shoes, and fitted button up shirts. One of the biggest motivators (after my own self-motivation to be more confident) was the positive reactions from acquaintances. My regular group of guy friends just threw around the word "hipster" whenever I wore slimmer jeans and shirts and non-sneaker shoes. My female friends on the other hand, have all had compliments and nice things to say. I also work with mostly women and have gotten a lot of good comments from them even when I first started and only tried on 1 new thing. People notice a lot more than you'd think, and it's definitely a lot of extra attention if you switch it up in big jumps. For me, after a while of consistently dressing in my style, I think it became more normalized for people around me, myself included.

I think the biggest compliments though are those I've gotten from complete strangers asking where I got my tie or jacket, or just commenting that they liked my shoes or that I just look dapper in general. (score!) It doesn't happen often but the couple of times that it did definitely helped with the confidence and gave me a "you're on the right track" feeling especially when I first tried on a new look. Of course, the important part for me is always that I'm comfortable and confident wearing what I'm wearing. If I put something on and walk through a busy street while consciously being worried about people judging me, then I'm doing something wrong, either clothes-wise or confidence-wise. My theory is to try not to half ass anything. If you're going to wear a neon green blazer, then rock it with confidence. But if you're only semi sure you like it and put it on anyway, then it's basically already a lost cause.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I've been reading Dappered etc for a little over a year now, but only slowwwwllyy upgrading my wardrobe, mostly due to the fact that I really don't spend my money until things are at about their cheapest. On the other hand, that's saved me from having to rebuy most of my clothes since I lost 20lbs this year and also meant I really saved on items I wanted (ie, Express signature polos this summer kept getting recommended at 30-40$, got mine at $15 each, just ordered Clarks for $40).
    Where the crap did you find Clarks for $40? Am I correct to assume they're the desert boots?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    It's still taking me some time at age 32.

Lately, I've been breaking in my friends by wearing blazers out to bars. I've taken a lot of shit for it at first, but they are getting used to it now. I will say I definitely get a little more attention from women. (Though it could just be improved self confidence from the outfit).

I haven't worn a blazer to work much - the office is basically all button-down shirt + dress pants. With the cold weather around though, I'm going to make an effort to slip one in. If anyone gives me crap, it's pretty easy to just reply, "well, it's getting cold out!"

The part I'm struggling the most with is shoes.

For work: Currently rotate between black park avenues and the equivalent of brown fifth avenues. These are both pretty basic shoes. I actually own the Strands in dark brown and the McAllisters in walnut, but just can't quite bring myself to wear them into work. They just feel rather flashy to me. I really like the brown fifth avenue style (slightly decorated cap toe), but the black PA's feel terribly boring to me lately.

For casual: I wear my clark's taupe DB's or a plain toe john varvatos I bought off lastcall for $60. For dressier dates with blazer+jeans, I've been wearing my dark brown strands. (Though realizing now that the captoe/balmoral style really works better with dress pants). Haven't worn my walnut McAllisters yet, but hope to soon! I am seriously considering the Meermin Long Wing bluchers, mostly because the brown is a slightly lighter color.

Ugh. Anyone else as torn about shoes as me?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    Hah Zero, I haven't had anyone at my work outside my team say anything about my shoes, walnut strands and players, red mahogany double monks, tan chukkas, brown strawfuts etc.

Not..one...stinkin..word

Kinda makes me mad, I wear flash shoes and get nada!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    It took me quite a while to feel comfortable with my new style, probably several months. First, it took me a long time to find the right fit and style of clothes that I liked. It was hard to find a sweet spot. In the midst of that process, I had to get used to comments from coworkers and friends for whom dressing "nice" is a polo and jeans.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zerostyle View Post
    Ugh. Anyone else as torn about shoes as me?
    Just get one of everything and then you won't have to compromise! Seriously, though, I'm sure I spend as much on shoes as everything else in my closet combined. Possibly more. And it's not because I'm paying a lot for shoes, either. Over the past year, I've averaged over one pair of shoes per month.

And start working those Strands into your work rotation! Dark brown is a very safe color and the broguing isn't over the top. :-) For compariosn I wore these to work yesterday:

They're cap toe, wingtip spectators with grain leather across the vamp. If those can fit into an office setting, surely a Strand can.