Thread: Sport Coat Buttons

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Sport Coat Buttons

Anyone ever replaced buttons on a sport coat? What do you look for when it comes to the buttons? I have nothing in mind when it comes to this, really open to ideas.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    If you're going through the effort to replace buttons, make sure you get some sort of natural buttons, such as horn. Tender Buttons in NYC is really an awesome source. I actually really like the buttons on Oxxford SCs too. Once I even bought on a hideous greenish gold size 50 Oxxford SC on eBay for $12 just so I could kop the buttons, which I used on another coat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Your tailor will do it for you at a small cost. He should be able to procure the buttons that you desire too but chances are good that you will end up paying more if you have him order them rather than doing it yourself. I would go to your tailor for a talk.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    I was in there yesterday and he commented on how the buttons of a sport coat shouldn't necessarily match the color of the jacket. The jacket is blue and so are the buttons, I asked hi about them and he just told me to pick some up and he would put them on. I guess what I am looking for are suggestions on what the buttons should be.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Where did you get the SC? Was it a thrifted orphaned suit jacket? If so replacing the matching buttons with something with a bit of contrast will help it look like a SC. You said it was blue, but it is solid? Patterned? A navy blazer traditionally would have metal buttons. Can you post pics?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    It is currently at the tailor, it is straight blue...here she is...super excited...http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...la&cagpspn=pla

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A. Sharp jacket.
    B. Your tailor and Fred make good points. A blazer traditionally should not have tonal buttons matching the fabric. It tends to make it look like you are wearing half of a suit. That being said, this rule is broken so often now that it really doesn't matter. If you like how it looks with the buttons that it came with, more power to you. If you do decide to change the buttons the traditional look is brass. I personally hate having flashy golden buttons on my otherwise delightfully understated navy blazers so i usually go with something that looks more like pewter or tarnished silver. Fred again had a great idea with horn buttons. I have never had any myself but i have considered it more than once. With the horn you usually have a thin ring of metal around the outside of the button so again you have the gold vs. silver question (my preference would remain silver). I have also seen people putting white/off white buttons on navy SCs which I don't think looks half bad but does make the jacket significantly more casual. I guess it just boils down to what you like. This is a great chance to make this jacket even more special. Gold, silver, horn, white, diamond, toggles (kidding on the last two). This is your adventure. Go nuts!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Thanks guys, I will look into it, just need to figure out where to find some now! I think i like the idea of some tarnished silver buttons...we shall see.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    http://www.ascuteasabutton.com/mm5/m...ory_Code=SUITB something like this possibly, then I would need some smaller ones for the sleeves.