Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Biggest Office Fashion Mistakes

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    Ah, I see. I'm of two minds on plastic digital watches. Obviously, they are not traditional business attire in any sense. But it's hard to feel offended by someone who wears a simple Timex Ironman or digital Casio. On the other hand, I'm not crazy about people who wear a $400 Suunto or Casio Protrek in the office. I doubt they find much use for their oversized, overpriced altimeter-barometer-compass while filling in Excel spreadsheets and Skype-conferencing.

To me, digital sports watches are like any other watch. Small, simple, and subtle is ok (though not optimal); oversized, garish, and eye-catching is a definite no. If a guy's digital watch can slip easily under the cuff of his dress shirt, then it doesn't bother me.

Personally, I always wear my $14 digital Casio when I'm on a jury trial. But that's more to do with courtroom social dynamics than style.
    Ben

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    I work in a federal building shared by a few different agencies and i tend to see the baggy jacket, i think this is more for comfort of weapon, so i give them the benefit of the doubt. My biggest dislike is seeing women wearing flip flops when its warm outside. They are loud and some of the time the women have corn filled bunion enriched feet that would make you gag...O, the agents wearing the tacky sports oakley shades with thier suits and the shoes they bought from payless that have the seams threading...
    "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
    I>0<I

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    White gym sneakers with chinos. I have a colleague who does this (when teaching MBA's, nonetheless) and it just makes me cringe.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Our IT guy is your classic dad jeans, bright white Wilson tennis shoes, and baggy gray sweatshirt guy. He basically wears that same uniform EVERY DAY. When he takes his sweatshirt it's usually to reveal a baggy t-shirt with some garish slogan about fishing or the Yankees (he wears his "blue collar guy from New Jersey" badge with pride). Not that anyone in this office notices, though, it's me that gets all the comments for "dressing up" when I tuck in my button-up shirt with chinos and wear my Cole Haan chukkas. :-\

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Not sure if it counts as a fashion mistake or a movie reference mistake (or both), but today I was wearing my JCF herringbone sportcoat, a red gingham shirt + jeans, and was told that I looked "very fancy in my suit [note, not a suit, not even close], like one of the guys in that movie... what is it? oh right, the matrix... one of those evil agents in the matrix [black/dark green suits]"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Worrying about what other people are wearing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    One of the prosecutors was a man who would actually show up in court wearing black jeans, black leather sneakers, and a sport coat. It was legitimately disgusting from both a fashion perspective and a respect-for-the-courts perspective.
    Sounds like My Cousin Vinny

Last edited by JoshuaNY; December 4th, 2012 at 03:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What do you guys think of chinos in the office? I'm starting work at a business casual office next summer and I'm going from a grad students wardrobe (and budget). I would prefer to stock up on chinos since they feel more versatile than dress slacks and suit separates. I'll probably do some shopping post Christmas and I was going to look at Gap BR and the Docker D1s.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tteason View Post
    What do you guys think of chinos in the office? I'm starting work at a business casual office next summer and I'm going from a grad students wardrobe (and budget). I would prefer to stock up on chinos since they feel more versatile than dress slacks and suit separates. I'll probably do some shopping post Christmas and I was going to look at Gap BR and the Docker D1s.
    chinos work great in business casual, just keep them ironed well.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    To respond to this thread more generally....
    Some of the men attorneys had issues with fit (lots of baggy khakis and sack suits)
    Sack suits can fit. A sack suit is a suit cut straight down the sides. Maybe not the look you like, but if sized right it fits.