Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Scotch Thread

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    @Fred- that sounds like a pretty good night! Also sounds like something my wife would say- but I still love her!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)
    I am looking to pick up a new bottle of Scotch. I am not a connoisseur, but do enjoy it. I only currently own the Glenlivet 18, Glenlivet 12 (more of the daily drinker) and Aberlour A'bunadh.

I like each of those for different reasons but am looking to acquire one with a different palette. Preferably $50ish (my liquor store has really good prices).
    Last edited by greg_s; March 6th, 2013 at 01:00 PM.
    "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by greg_s View Post
    I am looking to pick up a new bottle of Scotch. I am not a connoisseur, but do enjoy it. I only currently own the Glenlivet 18, Glenlivet 12 (more of the daily drinker) and Aberlour A'bunadh.

I like each of those for different reasons but am not looking to acquire one with a different palette. Preferably $50ish (my liquor store has really good prices).
    I'm a big fan of Balvenie. Their 12yr is usually around $40. I've heard good things about Dalmore, but I've yet to try it.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    When you say different palette what do you mean? Are you looking for a big Islay peater? If so, I'd go with Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Are you looking for a more subtle every day smoky? If so, Bruichiaddich Laddie 10. Do you want to stick to sherry base? If so, Aberlour 12 year. Do you want something more unique? If so, Compass Box Great King Street. All great choices. Id highly recommend each but they are all very different as well.

Edit * sorry i misread your previous post as you did want a different palette vs not wanting a different palette...the Aberlour 12 year would be a solid choice...although bourbon would be an even better choice...for Balvenie (mentioned above) i prefer the doublewood 12 year to the standard 12 year. Neither knock my socks off though.
    Last edited by tdig; March 6th, 2013 at 12:52 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)
    Wrote that incorrectly. I am looking for a different palette. The Glenlivets are oaky and easy to drink (not up on all the lingo). I like the sherry base in the Aberlour but want to switch it up.

I will look into those recommendations. Thanks, fellas.
    "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by greg_s View Post
    Wrote that incorrectly. I am looking for a different palette. The Glenlivets are oaky and easy to drink (not up on all the lingo). I like the sherry base in the Aberlour but want to switch it up.

I will look into those recommendations. Thanks, fellas.
    If I had to pick one from the ones I listed for someone going from Glenlivet I would encourage you to seek out the Laddie 10. It has a fantastic subtle smokiness to it along with honey and ocean air.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    I'm more of a bourbon drinker myself, but I'm drinking some Amrut Fusion single malt whiskey. It uses peated Scottish barley, but it's made in India. And it's delicious. So it's a scotch-style whiskey, I guess? Anyway, highly recommended.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Ok, I know it's not scotch, but Im now drinking Whistle Pig rye... Outstanding. If you like rye, this is something you need to try.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tdig View Post
    If I had to pick one from the ones I listed for someone going from Glenlivet I would encourage you to seek out the Laddie 10. It has a fantastic subtle smokiness to it along with honey and ocean air.
    I have to second this. I've definitely been enjoying my bottle thus far.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    If you are looking to dip your toes in the peaty category before diving into the Laphroigs of the world I would suggest Oban. it has a nice peat factor but is pretty mellow comparatively. The Distillers Select bottle is worth the extra money as well.