Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Argh! Clarks Desert Boots are killing my feet!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Yes, I sized down from my usual 10.5 to a 10 and they fit great as far as width and the uppers conforming to my feet (at first I tried size 9.5 and they were too tight), but my heels and soles just haven't adapted like I hoped they would. I just don't think my feet are well suited to the design of these, it's as simple as that. I do have narrow heels so they're pretty sensitive to lack of cushioning, so the hard leather heel cups on the Clark's just don't fit my feet well, even after I've tightened down the laces. Glad they work for the majority of you, but I've concluded they're just not good for my feet.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    My Clarks DBs killed my feet too - then I put insoles from an old pair of running sneakers in them, and it made ALL the difference in the world. Now they're really comfortable. I definitely recommend trying this - any insole from a pair of shoes with good support (running sneakers, gym sneakers, hiking boots, etc) should make a big difference, and as long as it's roughly the same size as your Clarks (doesn't need to be exact), it'll fit fine.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brooklyn87 View Post
    My Clarks DBs killed my feet too - then I put insoles from an old pair of running sneakers in them, and it made ALL the difference in the world. Now they're really comfortable. I definitely recommend trying this - any insole from a pair of shoes with good support (running sneakers, gym sneakers, hiking boots, etc) should make a big difference, and as long as it's roughly the same size as your Clarks (doesn't need to be exact), it'll fit fine.
    Yeah, I thought about trying that and maybe I still will. I have a pair of the SuperFeet copper insoles that mold to your feet in my Asolo hiking/backpacking boots and tried them in my Clarks but they took up too much space and made them too tight. Perhaps I'll try a model (SuperFeet or otherwise) that takes up less volume. What brand/model did you use in yours?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Ah yeah, you do need to make sure they're not too hefty. I literally just used whatever I had lying around. I have three pairs of DBs, so I used one pair of Merrell insoles, one pair of Brooks, and one pair of Sauconys (old shoes really are good for something!). The bonus is the laugh I get every time my boots are off and someone sees the insoles and goes, "Wow, I didn't know Merrell made desert boots. Those are nice!"

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Well, I'm trying Superfeet blue insoles in them today and although they cup my heels a bit better they also raise them up in the boot, meaning that my heels are still slipping more than I'd like. I may try switching these out with the insoles in my Vasque trail running shoes and see if they work any better, but I'm guessing if I decide to keep these they'll be limited to office wear only. I was hoping I could get them comfortable enough to wear on walks around town like so many other people apparently do but I just don't think it's going to be possible.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    I did mine up with the inset from a worn out pair of adidas high tops. No arch support or anything just a thin piece of rubbery material maybe an 8th of an inch thick but it made a world of differance.