Thread: Miami nightlife attire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Miami nightlife attire

I'm heading to Miami with a few buddies next month for a long weekend. Any advice on what to wear out to the bars/clubs at night? I'm thinking that nice denim, a nice button-down shirt and dress shoes should be enough but I'm open to any other suggestions or specifics.

Also, I haven't been down there in about 5 years so if anyone has any suggestions on where to go, let me know.

Thanks!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I'd say look to the Italians for inspiration as their summer looks match the Miami climate/vibe nicely. Soft shouldered, unconstructed cotton sport coat, maybe a linen or lightweight cotton dress shirt, chinos and casual leaning dress shoes. I'd favor a double monk or loafer without socks in this case.

As for the denim, I'd be concerned about the heat factor. Denim is thick and warm which is not a good match for Miami. Chinos are considerably lighter, still lean casual and, depending on the club, won't get you turned away like denim might.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You certainly won't be out of place wearing that.

Just of note, if you want to go to the bigger famous clubs, either have a hookup or be prepared to drop $50 cover. I went with like 3 well-dressed guys and 4 good looking girls, which where I'm from will get you in just about anywhere. No dice in South Beach unless we wanted to buy bottle service or pay massive covers, sometimes for places that were dead inside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AJG Esq View Post
    You certainly won't be out of place wearing that.

Just of note, if you want to go to the bigger famous clubs, either have a hookup or be prepared to drop $50 cover. I went with like 3 well-dressed guys and 4 good looking girls, which where I'm from will get you in just about anywhere. No dice in South Beach unless we wanted to buy bottle service or pay massive covers, sometimes for places that were dead inside.
    I'm surprised you didn't get in having 4 good looking girls with you. From my past experience down there and what I've read recently, that's one of the keys to getting in...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomasR View Post
    I'd say look to the Italians for inspiration as their summer looks match the Miami climate/vibe nicely. Soft shouldered, unconstructed cotton sport coat, maybe a linen or lightweight cotton dress shirt, chinos and casual leaning dress shoes. I'd favor a double monk or loafer without socks in this case.

As for the denim, I'd be concerned about the heat factor. Denim is thick and warm which is not a good match for Miami. Chinos are considerably lighter, still lean casual and, depending on the club, won't get you turned away like denim might.
    Thanks Tomas. I immediately think of work when I think of chinos. Do you mean lightweight chinos from some place like BR or JCrew? Or maybe linen or linen-blend pants?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I'm from Miami, and I just wear whatever the hell I want, no one cares down here. If you make it out to South Beach, some of the clubs don't allow sneakers. Others don't care at all. If you go out in Coconut Grove (more college oriented bars), you might even be overdressed in a button-down and blazer, and your dress shoes will most definitely get something spilled on them.

I wear denim all the time, even in the summer, but I am used to the humidity. In December you'll be fine in denim.

Edit: And you don't need to wear linen anything. Regular chinos are fine all year long.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    A nice alternative to those $50-plus cover clubs is Purdy lounge. No cover, still technically on South Beach, and it has a much more chill vibe, depending on the night you go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by splitplug View Post
    A nice alternative to those $50-plus cover clubs is Purdy lounge. No cover, still technically on South Beach, and it has a much more chill vibe, depending on the night you go.
    Thanks splitplug. Purdy Lounge looks pretty cool. The last few times I was down there, we went to the Delano which was pretty good (and no cover). We also went to Mansion one night which was alright but we had no chance getting into Snatch even though we got there early.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. How is Skybar or the Mynt Lounge?