Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: J Crew Factory or J Crew

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

J Crew Factory or J Crew

I am looking for advice on the Navy Peacoat. Now is the time to buy, with sales and all, but I am just wondering if there is much difference between the J Crew Factory version or the J Crew? Please advise if you have any comments or hands on opinions that would lean me one way over the other. Price for starters has the J Crew Factory around $100 less. Sizing, quality, extra features, etc. Also, I am 6'2" and 200lbs that wears a 42R suit jacket. If I want that nice fit what size should I aim for? Thanks again in advance for your help.....

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    That sounds like a large to me. If you're worried about missing the deal and can easily get to both the JCF and original Jcrew for returns, buy both and try for yourself. I think the peacoats with insulate show a huge difference compared to the factory coats, but $100 is also quite a price difference. If you can afford to wait a bit longer, the normal jcrew jackets will get even cheaper (probably January).

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    568 Post(s)
    IMO the JCrew coat felt thicker too me in that the wool itself felt like it was a heavier weight. The lining on the inside of both of them seemed very similar to me. That being said, I went with the JCF because a small fit me perfectly whereas with the JCrew I was in between a S and an M. I would say try both on and keep whichever fits you better.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Now I just checked out the BR website and they have their peacoat down to $199 from $250 plus you still get the 25% off which brings the Navy Peacoat to $161 shipped to my house!! Any feedback on the BR Peacoat and is it a better choice than the J Crew brand?

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    568 Post(s)
    I tried on the BR coat too. I liked the JCrew offerings better. I liked some of the other BR coats, but wasn't a fan of their peacoat. I can't remember the exact reasons now since it's been about a month or so since I tried them all on.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    older BR peacoats were cashmere blended and soft. The current ones are definitely not worth the same price as Jcrew's. Jcrew factory vs normal BR I can't say though, could be close.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    First off, thanks for the instant feedback everyone!! I am leaing towards the J Crew Peacoat and wondering if I should hold off to make the purchase? I am sure it will be cheaper after the Christmas holidays but I would like to have it for then. Do you think this is the best deal I will see that they have now or is there a code/sale that I should hold off for?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    @tommy: If you decide to buy in store, don't forget to bring a student ID. Jcrew usually takes an additional 15% off

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Acousticfoodie View Post
    @tommy: If you decide to buy in store, don't forget to bring a student ID. Jcrew usually takes an additional 15% off
    That's pretty sweet. I never knew this. I just so happen to have one even though I'm 33 because I'm in grad school.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    568 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goterps View Post
    older BR peacoats were cashmere blended and soft. The current ones are definitely not worth the same price as Jcrew's. Jcrew factory vs normal BR I can't say though, could be close.
    I'd go with the JCF over the BR. I don't think there's a huge difference between the JC and JCF - not an obvious one that I could see or feel anyways.