Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AE 2nds - To keep or not?

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    560 Post(s)

AE 2nds - To keep or not?

I got the AE BB Brown strands in the mail today. I'm trying to decide if the 'defects' are worth returning the shoes. There's a nick right near the front of the shoe that is bothering me. It seems superficial enough where it shouldn't affect the integrity of the shoe. The 2nd is the stitching is sticking out a bit where it will rub against the ground. This doesn't bother me at all as long as it won't affect the functionality of the shoe. Thoughts? Would you keep it or return it? Keep in mind that the shoes cost me $150.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    Well up that close the nick looks huge, how is it from a distance? Lots of mine now have little rubs etc from everyday where, so compare against your exisiting shoes to see if you'd do that kind of damage.

I am worried about mine now...sales guy did not seem very trust worthy, the last inspected every shoe and told me he didn't see anything, this guy said yeah they look good and then said one was being send to the shoebank...so how the heck did he inspect it.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    That nick is pretty big and right in the front and center of the shoe. The stitching doesn't bother me at all but I'd send 'em back because of the nick. Did they still have other stock in your size? Just have them send a different pair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    That nick would bother me because of the location. I would definitely send those back.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    560 Post(s)
    Fred - My size is a 9C so they don't have as many pairs of those as they do of some other sizes. I'm really torn because I love the Strands and at $150 they're a steal, but that nick is front and center.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    Side Note: If my shoes show up like that I will be calling the rude snobby lady that called previously telling me about my previous purchase amount and why my players may be uncomfortable for me and demanding a full refund of shoes and shipping. If Shoe Passion and Meermin can offer brand new ones for roughly the same price...

Glad I have email from the guy after I asked him to inspect them for any visible flaws

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Some perspective: There's a reason all of these shoes have been labeled as seconds, and thus being sold for more than 50% off retail price. If that cut bothers you, I'd second what Fred said about calling the shoebank and seeing if they have another in stock in the same size that you could get as a replacement.

On another note - I've had nothing but excellent customer service from Allen Edmonds. While I've had my share of run-ins with poor service in the past with various companies, I've also found that a little tact on your part can go a long way towards resolving any issues.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    Oh I was quite polite, posted a review of the shoes, stated they were seconds etc and I loved the design and colour, but they were uncomfortable for myself and still gave them 4/5

Got a phone call 2 weeks later from a woman that pretty much called me cheap because I did the 2 for $200; got 4 pairs all in great shape thanks to my awesome sales associate Chris who I praised to AE. Back to the story, I didn't ask for a call to lecture me on pricing nor for her to pull up my transaction "Oh well I see you got 4 pairs for $400" that was completely useless information when telling me about their last and why it may not fit my foot and I didn't appreciate the tone either. Saved the voicemail and listened to it a few times to give her the benefit but it came off as rude every time.

That ruined it for me and I don't think I'd ever pay full price for AEs because I'd be tempted to lose it on them for ANY blemish/defect after getting that snotty phone call. That's my story

On the bright side it lead my finding of future places to try like meermin and shoe passion

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Return them, i know personally i would be bothered by that scratch. it is too deep...
    "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
    I>0<I

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    That scratch is a backbreaker. It looks obvious and deep which compromises both the aesthetics and quality of the shoe. Get caught in a rainstorm wearing them and you're likely to end up with a fresh set of issues thanks to that scratch. Send 'em back.