Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AE 2nds - To keep or not?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Both of my pairs came in yesterday with no visible damage to them. The more pairs that were available when the shoes were purchased the better chance you got a better pair.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    Regarding AE customer service, you're probably referring to "Brenda" who is indeed a bit rough around the edges for someone employed as a customer service representative. My argument to her was that some discretion should be placed on items labeled seconds, as the pair of shoes I received wouldn't make the budget bin alongside bootlegged DVDs at the local gas station. She scoffed at that in saying that "seconds are what they are." I again recanted, explaining that most companies establish a difference between second quality, and throw-aways where AE seems to disregard any such notion. The long short of it is, they will take your seconds back for exchange until you get a pair you like. It just requires patience. If you have a local store near you, I've found that the the staff can be much more understanding than the abrasive "Brenda" from corporate. Note that she will attempt to help resolve your dissatisfaction, but not without a few back-handed comments alluding to you being a cheap bastard.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    haha that sounds like her :P

No local store here which is why I'd be a bit miffed more so than normal, good to know they will take them back, just wondering how the shipping works as it's about $30 each way

Plus I had a great experience with Herring shoes where they sent the wrong size of Loake's...asked if they wanted me to send them back and got a "Find a good home for them, correct size is on the way"

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    Out of the US, you may be out of luck, and understandably so. Any company that wants to stay in business isn't likely to agree on unlimited $30 trials. It all evens out. We get screwed by Indochino and Frank & Oak shipping

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    Yeah I won't have an issue complaining about 1st shipment if there's damage as I asked to check, but that's on them

How bad is indochino? Bonobos is $70 heh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry to get a little off topic, but you guys think that the quality of Shoepassion/Meermin is about the same as Allen-Edmonds? This is the first I've heard of them...

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    They should be on par, good year welted etc. just made overseas so lower price is what I'm lead to believe.

I'd put them above well above the shoes from DSW Joe recommends

I'm more of the thought process of if you take care of it, it will last.

Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Quoted
    534 Post(s)
    Shadow - I asked them to check my shoes for blemishes as well and they said there weren't any.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post
    Shadow - I asked them to check my shoes for blemishes as well and they said there weren't any.
    I've asked folks at the Portland, ME store to do the same. I was told the shoes I ordered had very minor blemishes, but as it turned out, they had some severe wrinkles on the toe region of the shoe. Blemishes are of course subjective to some extent. What might pass for some, might be unacceptable to others. Again, my advice is to keep sending them back until you get a pair that you find acceptable. You're not going to get an absolutely perfect shoe, there is going to be SOME kind of noticeable flaw if you look hard enough.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My Strands came in last night (still trying to figure out how to add pics directly, until then, imgur): http://imgur.com/agDSM

There's very slight wrinkling on one heel and a mark on a sole, both of which don't bother me at all. However, on the cap of the left shoe, the fringe is raised up instead of flat. Any recommendations on how to flatten it out? The pic is after me holding it down with my hand for about 5 minutes...I may try to tie a string around it over night or see if my cobbler can glue it down. Otherwise, I can live with it.