Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Primer to J.Crew Factory?

Could somebody explain the major differences (if there are any) between J.Crew and J.Crew Factory? Are there things to keep in mind with sizing, quality, etc.?

Right now there's a 30% off sale and a lot of good prices for shirts/sweaters, so I'm looking for reasons to not buy, or alternatively, buy.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    mr. mr., I have owned a few items from both. From my experience the quality of J. Crew Factory is lower than J. Crew, and the fits are boxier and less form-fitting. That being said, it does carry a few gems. I found the V-neck merino sweaters to be a good value when they were on sale for $20 or less. Several members have also had great experiences with the factory Thompson (sp?) suits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Fit is going to be relative to your size. I'm 6'2'' 210 and their slim shirts fit me pretty well in size Large (see How Does This Fit? thread). Smaller guys might have some trouble with the fits there. I find their shirts to be a little short for me in the tail. Their non-slim shirts are pretty boxy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Everything is going to be different. Quality will not be as good, shirts/pants will fit slightly different...yet prices lower! However, even tho the quality is not AS good as regular J. Crew, it is still nice threads compared to other brands.

Things I would buy would be the Thompson suit, button-down shirts, and undershirts. Maybe a belt or socks here and there depending on the sale.
    "One man's style must not be the rule of another's." - Jane Austen
    #StayDapper

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    a side question, are their factory items sold at their outlet stores, or only online? thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by llie19 View Post
    a side question, are their factory items sold at their outlet stores, or only online? thanks.
    factory=outlet in this case. I purchased online and returned/exchanged at the outlet in MD.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks. and the factory items can't be returned to regular jcrew stores? outlets are far away.

Quote Originally Posted by jputman08 View Post
    factory=outlet in this case. I purchased online and returned/exchanged at the outlet in MD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by llie19 View Post
    Thanks. and the factory items can't be returned to regular jcrew stores? outlets are far away.
    Correct...factory can only be returned to factory outlets or returned through mail.
    #StayDapper

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you're interested in giving them a try...now's a good time. 30% off & free shipping sitewide. Code: SCOREMORE.

Personally, there are some good finds with J.Crew Factory. Especially when they're doing sales like they are at the moment.
    #StayDapper

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I worked at a J. Crew Factory over the summer (and probably will again over winter break) and the differences are basically as SDot and bruschetta described. The "goal" of J. Crew Factory is to provide similar styles to mainline J. Crew but at a lower price point. Though this theoretically didn't result in a reduction of quality, I think just about anyone is inclined to think that when you greatly reduce the cost of manufacture of a garment by greatly altering the material from which it was made, you probably lost some quality at some point.

Generally, I haven't heard about people having quality issues with the Factory line, though I remember reading somewhere that people were running into issues with the jersey slub polo that was rather popular this summer. Personally, nothing that I picked up while I worked there has fallen apart on me but I didn't buy anything that I wear on an overly regular basis.

In terms of popular men's items, the wash shirts, chinos, Haberdashery shirts, and (during the summer) the shorts were all things that I found myself frequently asked about and searching for in the stock room, though it should be noted that the popularity of these items in the eyes of the consumer doesn't mean that they were the best things available for the cost.