Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primer to J.Crew Factory?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    this has been talked about before, but how does the thompson fit compare to the ludlow? ludlow is very fitted, and from what i have heard thompson is also very fit, probably a tad roomier than ludlow.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I have another question re: the fit of JC Factory shirts, specifically their washed casual shirts. I'm looking at getting one more plaid for my closet and like their patterns better than the ones at Land's End Canvas. How does the fit compare between JCF and LEC? I have a large LEC chambray workshirt and although it fits well in the chest and waist the shoulder seams are a tad too low and the sleeves are definitely too long (I'm a 35 sleeve so their size chart is bogus). Should I go ahead and try a J. Crew Factory shirt or will I likely be disappointed given that LEC shirts are too big? As many of you know, I have a helluva time finding shirts that fit my narrow shoulders while also accommodating my midsection.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    I've tried numerous things at J-crew Factory and been disappointed for most part. Things I would steer clear of are their button down shirts ( do not fit me, see my profile for measurements ) and the fabric is nothing special. The Thompson suit is good on sale ($200) for the price if you are the type of person that needs a suit maybe 3-4 times a year which is the category I fall in. I have no need for a $500 suit as I wouldn't get value of out it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    For the most part, Factory seems to just use cheaper fabric than mainline. When I started wearing J. Crew is was impressed with the way it feels to the touch, almost suede like? The Factory stuff just feels like same ol' same ol' fabric. I find the cut is fairly consistently the same. I like J. Crew's classic cut, sized down to XS and the factory shirts fit pretty much the same in this size as the mainline stuff I have. Sleeves are STILL a little too long though, and I have my tailor take them up an inch or inch and a half if I plan to wear them with a sport coat.

If you can make it to a physical store, they have some sick discounts sometimes on leftover stuff. I snagged a flannel shirt in August for $2.60. Seriously.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VespaMatt View Post
    If you can make it to a physical store, they have some sick discounts sometimes on leftover stuff. I snagged a flannel shirt in August for $2.60. Seriously.
    This is VERY true. Our end of summer clearance sales were positively obscene at my store. 80% off already marked down items? Shirts for 7 dollars (I never saw anything go as low as $2.60 but it doesn't surprise me). It was a sight to see. Go into work one day, good range of sizes, go into work three days later; nothing left.

Though it did suffer from the usual problem of there being oddly large sizes in unflattering patterns (navy blue and white horizontal stripe polos in size XXL anyone?) left over when everything else was gone.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Quick question. Joe mentioned the Thompson suit when he did his 1500 budget series. I was confused with what joe meant by not charcoal but grey. Did he mean that the color is actually closer to grey not charcoal?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    I'll echo some of what's been said. I've had great experiences with their casual shirting. Seems to be of similar quality to mainline J Crew stuff. I have a particular madras shirt that is sublime. I have one of their new dress shirts as well. The fit is decent, though I can't compare to the non-Factory shirts; it's similar to Nordstrom/Calibrate Trim Fit. The fabric is obviously cheap though. Feels like a cotton/poly blend, but says it's all cotton. I probably won't buy another of their dress shrits. I'd rather spend a few extra bucks on NM or Nordstrom shirts.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    for those of us confused with JCrew and Jcrew factory's fit, for a shirt in S (slim fit) is that the same as XS (regular)? I tried on two casual button downs that seemed to reflect my previous statement, but I'm wondering if that holds true for the dress shirts, and if there's any difference in sizing with factory vs regular jcrew.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I always thought J. Crew Factory was like the outlet store for J. Crew.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by printyra View Post
    I always thought J. Crew Factory was like the outlet store for J. Crew.
    You would be correct.
    "One man's style must not be the rule of another's." - Jane Austen
    #StayDapper