Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting for chinos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hunting for chinos

Iím in the market for several pairs of casual chinos (no permanent crease so D1s are out) to wear as an upgrade to jeans. The profession Iím in has most wearing ill-fitting khakis and polo shirts. I like to wear at least a button up shirt and a well-fitting pair of khakis. But thatís just the problem. I canít seem to find any.

The trouble comes because I am a 32x33 length in most pants. For reference I wear 501ís in 32x32 and try on a number of different pairs to get the longest possible. I have several pairs of gap dress khakis from a few years ago in 32x34 that puddle at the bottom.

Iíve tried on the JCP causal chinos in 32x32 and they were too slim in the seat/thigh and too short. Conversely, the 34x34 was way too baggy and too long. I tried on gapís latest offerings (slim and otherwise) and had the same problem Ė the 32x32 was an inch too short and the 34x34 an inch too long. I tried on the Emerson chinos from BR and had the same problem as at gap. The Gavin chinos were way too baggy in a 32 waist as well.

So basically, I want casual chinos that fit similarly to 501s (Iím fine with slight tapering as long as itís not calf hugging) that arenít too short or too long. Any thoughts? Anything Iím overlooking?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Bonobos are the best fitting Chinos IMHO. Based on your description, their Straight fit is probably what you would want. I personally like their Slim Straight. You need to go one inch down from your BR/Gap size on the waist. They are expensive but with the current referral promo of $50 off $125, you can get two for a reasonable price. Let me know if you need a code and I will send you a message.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    BR recently brought out some slim fit casual chinos (no crease). Bonobos is not bad either, but look for a sale, same goes for the BR chinos, there should be a 40% off coming before w/e they decide to do for BF this year.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    I am in the same position you are. 6 Feet 175 and a 32x33. I've just started getting 32x34 and getting them hemmed for $12-$15. That is for using the original hem. Would love to avoid that step if possible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Maybe this is blasphemy, but the lived-in slim khakis from GAP are obscenely comfortable and soft: http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...&pid=243639172

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I forgot to write that you should try the 32 length from Bonobos, since they run longer than the brands you mentioned.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    My current favorites are the Bill's Khakis M3 fit. They are mostly out of them in size 32 now, but check Sierra Trading Post, that's where I've gotten all of mine at some pretty steep discounts:
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~b...m3/?perPage=24

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Funny this post is here. I was just about to post on the Gap lived in Khakis...I love them. I got a pair over the weekend and they are amazingly soft and comfortable. I would get every color if I could. Highly recommend. Fit is true to size I wear a 29/30-29/30.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for all the replies everyone! I've looked at Bonobos before, but the price has always been steep for me (even with the $50 off $125, two pairs of chinos would come out to $125 which is still $63/pair. Ouch.) Same with Bill's Khakis. I guess I'll have to save up for a while or just get cheaper pants hemmed.

@Eyerman I tried on the lived in slim this past weekend and they were way to slim in the thigh and way too tapered in the calf for my waist size.
    Last edited by ZacharyR; November 13th, 2012 at 11:39 AM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The Republic of Bananas and J. Crew are the two places I get mine.