Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Picking a Watch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Advice on Picking a Watch

Hey guys,

Long time reader, first time poster. I've never really worn a watch before and I'm looking into buying one now that will last me a fair amount of time. I'm a young guy (still in college) and I'm looking for something casual for every day wear. I really like the idea of a watch with a blue dial paired with a brown leather strap (There was a thread a few months ago about a guy trying to replicate a seamaster on a leather strap, really liked that idea). So far, I've found these:

http://www.bulova.com/en_us/watch/bulova/dress/96B160 ($187 on Amazon)

http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-Casual-S...eywords=SGEG03

Or, kind of in a different direction:

http://orientwatchusa.com/em65009d in Blue.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the Bulova. Just wanted some thoughts or any other suggestions, especially if anyone currently owns the Bulova.

Oh yeah, and my budget is <$200

Thanks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    The Orient is the superior watch. The other two are quartz while the Orient is automatic (and can be had for 30% the list price) The lower end Bulova watches aren't great, and I certainly wouldn't pay that much for it. I'd go with the Orient and a leather strap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hmm thanks for the response. Definitely considering the Orient but I'm a bigger fan of the simpler classic look over the diver

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    That's fair, it is a nice clean look, I just don't think the Bulova is worth is at that price. How about this one this one? Virtually the same watch for $100 less.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Based on those looks, I'd likely consider this one as well. Orient makes a nice watch and this one seems simpler than the other Orient you highlighted. This with a leather band would do nicely:

http://orientwatchusa.com/cex05003d

Plus, with their 30% off code you get a cheaper quartz watch as an addition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My thoughts:

All three of those watches are, in my personal opinion, on the small side of the spectrum for mens watches. That's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just something to be mindful of. The Orient would wear the biggest, but it's still a smaller watch by diver standards.

Do you want something blue? The blue on the Orient is very dark. It can often look black or grey in dim or indirect lighting. Again, not a bad thing, just don't expect it to always be visible as a brilliant blue.

The diver is really in a different category, so it's kind of an apples/oranges comparison. If you want something similar in the Orient family, you could go with the Orient Symphony. That's a pretty minimalist dress watch at around the same price point.

Lower end Seikos can be really good quality, but people tend to go for the automatic "Seiko 5"s...Look for those, they probably have something similar to that one. I don't like the stock metal bands on the Seikos though. I think they're better with an after-market strap.

Orients in general are hugely popular watches among watch enthusiasts. I don't know as much about Bulova. Seiko has great quality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oh and that cheaper quartz watch promo that Orient USA does, I've never known anyone to get a watch through that deal that they have liked and kept. It's usually a womens watch.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The Orient is 41mm... I generally wouldn't consider that to be on the small side. Right in the middle.

Of those watches, I'd go for the Orient, for the movement. But I also would prefer the simpler classic styling over a dive watch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAD91 View Post
    The Orient is 41mm... I generally wouldn't consider that to be on the small side. Right in the middle.

Of those watches, I'd go for the Orient, for the movement. But I also would prefer the simpler classic styling over a dive watch.
    I agree, 41 is only on the small side because companies are making ginormous watches now a days. Anything over 42 looks too big on most dudes to me. The Diver may be bit busy, but still a classic look. Plus the automatic movement is nice.

I also like the orient dark blue, at time it looks so deep it seems black, other times its bright blue. A lot of character.

I had a lower end Bulova with a blue dial for many years and it was a good watch.
    Last edited by JoshuaNY; November 21st, 2012 at 11:53 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Agreed. 40-42 is the sweet spot for most wrists. 45mm+ only looks good if you're an NFL player or rapper.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAD91 View Post