Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Bourbon/Rye Thread

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    from the scotch thread:

Quote Originally Posted by BB View Post
    Ok, I know it's not scotch, but Im now drinking Whistle Pig rye... Outstanding. If you like rye, this is something you need to try.
    Be careful calling Whistlepig a Rye! I'm stubborn when it comes to labeling American spirits. Whistlepig is purchased and imported from a Canadian distillery (Alberta Distillers) and bottled in the US. Many say its the colder climate that gives it a more restrained taste. Doesn't make it any less tasty, I just don't necessarily consider it an American Rye. I never like when companies try to trick consumers through marketing. The whisky itself is quite good although for its price I personally prefer Rendezvous Rye, Willett Rye, and even Rittenhouse but I tend to gravitate towards bigger bolder profile whiskeys. If you like Whistlepig you should try Lot 40 if you can find it. It's basically a more aggressive version of Whistlepig and its damn good.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Wow, I missed the bourbon thread... This place is more my speed than the scotch thread. I'll look forward to trying Lot 40. Whistlepig is a bit deceptive, then, isn't it? Still very tasty. I tend to prefer bold whiskey, but I was actually quite surprised by how nuanced the flavors are in whatever Whistlepig bought and then resold.

Ok, I now I'm mucking up the clarity of these threads, but I tried one other thing last night that I really loved: John Sullivan "Ten Count" Irish Whiskey. It's aged in bourbon casks and finished in sherry casks. Like most Irish whiskeys, this is fairly sweet, but this is worth a try because of the complexity of flavor.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Just got a bottle of Sazerac (the regular one - 6 year?). My rye experience thus far consists of only Rittenhouse and Bulleit (as far as purchased and enjoyed bottles, that is - not always knowing what folks have served me prior to those).

I think I preferred Rittenhouse over Bulleit, but I went through them sequentially, and thus didn't have the chance to truly A/B them.

What do you guys think of those two, and what should I expect with this Sazerac?

Also, any preferred ryes to try? I don't usually spend crazily on liquor, so please keep that in mind when recommending. Thanks!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    A personal favorite in the under $40 club (and often under $30 in parts of the country) is Rowan's Creek.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)
    I'm a huge, huge Bulleit fan in terms of bang for buck.
    "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfranklin View Post
    A personal favorite in the under $40 club (and often under $30 in parts of the country) is Rowan's Creek.
    Yes. Rowan's Creek is delicious.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    A selling point for the Sazerac was the Buffalo Trace connection. I really enjoyed the bottle of BT Bourbon I had around the holidays last year. Might need to get me another bottle of that too.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    I have to second tdig's comment on Whistle Pig. An absolutely fantastic rye.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoyorobbo View Post
    Just got a bottle of Sazerac (the regular one - 6 year?). My rye experience thus far consists of only Rittenhouse and Bulleit (as far as purchased and enjoyed bottles, that is - not always knowing what folks have served me prior to those).

I think I preferred Rittenhouse over Bulleit, but I went through them sequentially, and thus didn't have the chance to truly A/B them.

What do you guys think of those two, and what should I expect with this Sazerac?

Also, any preferred ryes to try? I don't usually spend crazily on liquor, so please keep that in mind when recommending. Thanks!
    The Sazerac will be quite different than the Rittenhouse and Bulleit. Much sweeter rye. Still great stuff and really great cocktail rye. I'm a huge Rittenhouse supporter and buy it by the half case when I can get it. Others I would encourage you to try are High West Double Rye, High West Rendezvous Rye, Willett Rye, and Wild Turkey Rye 101 if you can find it. The more recent Wild Turkey Ryes have been cut to 81 but the old 101s are still around some places and are great.

I'm not actually a huge fan of Whistlepig. It's solid, yes, but not spectacular for my palate. Bit dry and soft for me.

shopmerwins.com has HW Rendezvous on sale right now for $35 which is practically giving it away. If you buy more than a bottle the shipping is more reasonable.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tdig View Post
    The Sazerac will be quite different than the Rittenhouse and Bulleit. Much sweeter rye. Still great stuff and really great cocktail rye.
    I'm really digging it! Only had it neat and on the rocks (or at least on "a rock" - been using my HUGE square cubes as of late - nice for the slow melt, and even nicer as a conversation piece), but may mix up a Manhattan or maybe even a Red Hook later this evening.

I *think* I may be enjoying this Sazerac due t the fact that is is a bit sweeter, and actually I am most often a bourbon guy, so this may be my nice middle-ground spirit; somewhere between a bourbon and a rye?

Thanks for all of the suggestions, fellas. I will slowly try them.