Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Bourbon/Rye Thread

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    97 Post(s)
    No love for "Buffalo Trace?" The new small-batch line they have is great too.
    "Bookers" is always a great sipping bourbon too (though a bit pricey).
    I also just bought a bottle of the "Old Forrester" Signature line & it's been pretty good too (plus 100% proof bourbon is no joke).
    The Makers Mark "46" was surprising good when I had a bottle of that stuff. It was fairly low-cost when it came out, but it's been a while since I bought any.
    ...I miss living in KY sometimes...

If you like Manhattans, try a "Brooklyn."

Not bourbon related, but I recently picked up a bottle of "Johnson Junior Moonshine" in blueberry & it's awesome.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Classic Buffalo Trace is a great buy and one of my go to mixing bourbons. I just picked up this years Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon and am really excited to try it. The reviews on it are amazing. Wasn't a fan of Makers 46 when I tried it but I'm not too fond of the original Makers either.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    With Thanksgiving coming up how about some bourbon soaked desserts! http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelysande...ull-of-bourbon

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cause Moe View Post
    Rye: Whistle Pig
    This is one of the best ryes (and possibly one of the best whiskeys) I've had in a long time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Picked up a bottle of Van Winkle 12 year this afternoon.

Local liquor store got in 20, 15, 13 rye, 12, and 10 at noon. Within 10 minutes the 20 was gone, not long after the 15 and 13 rye were gone. By the time i got there at 2pm they had 1 bottle of 12 and 1 bottle of 10 left. This stuff is way too hard to find!

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan View Post
    Picked up a bottle of Van Winkle 12 year this afternoon.

Local liquor store got in 20, 15, 13 rye, 12, and 10 at noon. Within 10 minutes the 20 was gone, not long after the 15 and 13 rye were gone. By the time i got there at 2pm they had 1 bottle of 12 and 1 bottle of 10 left. This stuff is way too hard to find!
    I've snagged a rye and a 15 so far this release. I have one more place that is still waiting on their shipment where Im hoping to land another rye. I have 3 15s, 2 20s, 1 rye, and 2 10s on hand right now. For 2012 releases I've also picked up Stagg, WLW, Handy, Saz18, Four Roses Single Barrel LE, Four Roses SMB LE, and the Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    Resurrecting an old thread here.

Got my best friend a bottle of Jefferson's 18yo Presidential for his birthday today. He kindly shared a glass with me and it is fantastic. A bit hot at first, but once it sits for a while it really mellows. Loads of vanilla, cinnamon, caramel, toffee, etc.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Maker's Mark has decided to leave the alcohol content at 45% after they received lot of backlash to their plan to drop it down to 42%. The reason they were going to make the change is that demand is outstripping supply and shortages are being found in some markets. Maker's Mark may become as hard to find as Knob Creek is in some areas due to this but since I live in NYC shartage has never been a problem. Needless to say this is great news and I can stop hoarding bottles in my closet!

Now let us hope Maker's doesn't become as scarce (and expensive) as Pappy...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...91G0EM20130217

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I tried Booker's for the first time this weekend and I loved it:
    http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDet...?ProductID=565

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Haven't really tried any of the high-end stuff yet, but my go to is Buffalo Trace. A place near me sells it for $37 a handle and I really can't find anything better for value.