Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Official Bourbon/Rye Thread

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)
    Man, found a bottle of Willet Rye and two bottles of the BTAC TH 18 year on the way home today. Needless to say, twas a good day!

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Had the chance to swing by A. Smith Bowman Distillery yesterday on my way down to Richmond for work. Was able to snap some pics and thought Id share:

http://imgur.com/a/YyRFW

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    threadbombing (in that there's not even a small chance I'm going to read through 16 pages of posts about bourbon), but a shout-out to black dirt bourbon from here in the Hudson Valley. This past fall, all the local restaurants (we're in a "money desert" compared to anything else in any direction, but we have the best cooking school in the country (debatable, but easily top 2-3), so we have crazy-good restaurants for an area whose local economy seems to be dominated by higher education and whatever happens 10 years after IBM leaves) were doing Manhattans (and many were as good as the ones I had in serious restaurants on the namesake island). The best ones were done with Black Dirt bourbon. Serious quality, reasonably priced, tough to find (elsewhere).

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)
    Good to know. My only experience with Black Dirt is their apple brandy (which was very good).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Planning an anniversary trip to Lexington KY with the Buffalo Trace distillery as one of our stops (along with Mammoth Cave and the horse park for her). Pretty stoked and i've been hinting for her to get me one of the BTAC bottles for my present.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mister_deez View Post
    Planning an anniversary trip to Lexington KY with the Buffalo Trace distillery as one of our stops (along with Mammoth Cave and the horse park for her). Pretty stoked and i've been hinting for her to get me one of the BTAC bottles for my present.
    Make sure you book the Hard Hat Tour.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    379 Post(s)
    Anyone try Evan Williams 2004 single barrel vintage? Just picked up a bottle bottled 11/13 aged 9years. Read reviews it was sweet but I love makers so I'm guessing I'll enjoy it.

Still drinking my Four Roses single barrel. Damn this stuff is harsh when uncut.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Thanks to a super friendly shop owner (really cool guy to talk booze with too), I sampled some Jefferson Reserve and some Bulleit 10 year bourbon (I really like Bulleit's regular bourbon and their rye - in fact bought a bottle of both of those in this particular visit).

The Bulleit 10 was nice, but in agreeance with the owner, probably not worth the extra $ (see?, I said he was cool).

The Jefferson, however, was amazing! At $55 a bottle I had to pass... for *now*. But man, that was some tasty hooch! You guys ever try it?