Thread: Official Bourbon/Rye Thread

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjmcgeever View Post
    How is it?
    It's very good. Maybe a bit overpriced, but I'm a huge rye fan, so worth it occasionally.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shomas View Post
    I haven't had the rye, but their bourbon is tasty. I don't know that it's worth the price (I just ordered a glass at a local bar), but it's quite delicious.
    Never been much of a fan of the Hudson stuff myself. I can taste its youth and the price is simply too much for what it is.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I've had the Hudson rye and bourbon so far, and enjoyed them both.

The price is fairly high... Unfortunately, I think most of the craft distillers are at such a disadvantage due to the high cost to get started, the prices will be higher than anything comparable from a large distiller. So, if I like the whiskey, I try to support them.

On the other hand, a $40 bottle of Hudson is a bargain compared to the Midleton I was drinking at a bar last night...

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    The Hudson is honestly pretty pricey for what it is. I mostly picked it up since it's sort of local and relatives from out of town probably wouldn't have tried it before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Templeton Rye, the end.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatLarsenGuy View Post
    Templeton Rye, the end.
    To each his own. Never been much of a Templeton fan either. I enjoy some LDI rye's but I definitely prefer it at a higher proof than Templeton bottles it. Bit soft that low. I can't really get on board with an 80 proof NAS LDI rye at $40/bottle when I get get Bulleit for $18 or 110 proof Age Stated Willet at the same $40 price tag which blows the Templeton out of the water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tdig View Post
    To each his own. Never been much of a Templeton fan either. I enjoy some LDI rye's but I definitely prefer it at a higher proof than Templeton bottles it. Bit soft that low. I can't really get on board with an 80 proof NAS LDI rye at $40/bottle when I get get Bulleit for $18 or 110 proof Age Stated Willet at the same $40 price tag which blows the Templeton out of the water.
    If i'm sipping n a Rye neat I agree with you, but if i'm making an Old-fashion I personally prefer lower proofs. Same with a Rye Sazerac. That's just me though.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatLarsenGuy View Post
    If i'm sipping n a Rye neat I agree with you, but if i'm making an Old-fashion I personally prefer lower proofs. Same with a Rye Sazerac. That's just me though.
    Definitely comes down to personal preference. In cocktails I try to use something BIB (100 proof) 99% of the time for both consistency and taste preference. Not too high to take over but not too low to get lost. With that said, I cant usually find any reason to spend more than $20 on cocktail whiskey either. Too many good options in that price range.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    As far as Ryes go, I've personally only had bottles of Rittenhouse, Sazerac and Bulleit. My preference of those three is Sazerac, but it's near impossible to find locally. Once the *few* bottles are gone from the shelves, that's all you'll see for several months. Rittenhouse worked great in cocktails (mainly Manhattans and Red Hooks in my home bar XP) as it seemed to cut-through a little better; but for neat or rocks I really like that Sazerac Rye.

Any other mid-low range offerings you fellas suggest? I hear Old Overholt all the time, but it's NOwhere to be found around here. I'd prefer to keep it around $30 and under.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)
    We just need a tdig beacon we can flash into the sky like Batman.
    "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano