Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying winter clothes when you live in the south

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)

I moved from the Northeast to the South six years ago. I should know by now that my sweaters and coats get little use. So why do I have two sweaters, the oilcloth coat, and tweed jacket from LE on the way?

It's a perfect 72 degrees today. I'm not complaining about the weather, but does anybody else have this problem? I don't need more sweaters or jackets!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hmm I moved from the NE to the South too, but still find that the weather ranges anywhere from 40-70 during the winter. That's enough variety to break out a sweater now and then.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)

Los, This Atlanta weather is KILLING ME.

Are you getting your oilcloth today? I am too. I wanted to rock it, but I don't think that's going to happen. At least I go out west for Christmas ...

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

I've got that problem, too. It's stayed hotter longer this year. That's for sure. I'm busting out wool ties and boots, but haven't gotten to the outerwear. I couldn't wait any longer and wore a sweater vest today. The donegal suit will still have to wait, though. :-P

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    @jonATL: Got the oilcloth yesterday. Fits great but I'm going to return it because it just doesn't work for me. Also, got my gray lambswool sweater, very itchy. Debating on returning that also.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    I know how you feel. I currently live in Alabama and I don't get to bust out the winter clothing as much as I like to. But I really want this topcoat that we have at work. I may get it anyway. I need a more formal coat.

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2080 Post(s)
    This is one of the (many) reasons I would never move anywhere that doesn't see snow and cold temps in the winter. Colorado is already pushing it as far as I'm concerned - way too many above-40°F winter days for my taste, and not nearly enough snow (at least, not where I live).

I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I never got to wear all my winter outerwear. Plus, I would melt in summer. I hate heat. Give me -20°F over hot and humid any day.
    Ben

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    This is one of the (many) reasons I would never move anywhere that doesn't see snow and cold temps in the winter. Colorado is already pushing it as far as I'm concerned - way too many above-40°F winter days for my taste, and not nearly enough snow (at least, not where I live).

I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I never got to wear all my winter outerwear. Plus, I would melt in summer. I hate heat. Give me -20°F over hot and humid any day.
    I agree. I'd take the cold over the crazy heat any day. I didn't move here by choice and will hopefully be moving out soon to a place with a cooler climate.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    Living in Florida is a drag, especially when we get these cold weather teases. It might be cold the day before and summer the next. I have all these sport coats and even though I try to stock up on light cotton and linen blazers, its still almost impossible to wear them during the day. I took the dog for a walk to Starbucks sunday in brogue boots and check cotton sport coat (pretty much a shirt jacket, full cotton, no lining or structure) and still ended up sweaty. Forget about all the tweed that I obsess over looking at while I'm at work. I even found tweed jackets and a Barbour for the dog that are just overkill. Did snag him a quilted vest cheap enough to justify:

I spent the later part of my teen years growing up out west in Idaho near the Sawtooths. I really miss that - I didn't know much about clothes back then but I remember blowing a lot (for my age) on a yellow columbia jacket and driving my Jeep on all sorts of trails, camping, etc... I imagine how cool all that stuff would be now with my aesthetic sense. Something like this recent Makr x Scout collab, but at a reasonable price point: http://aheadlongdive.com/2012/11/15/...op-with-scout/

Blame it on Skyfall and the Defender in the PTS and the third chapter in the countryside, but my rekindled dream is to get enough money to buy some property in the middle of nowhere, back in Idaho or Montana, have a Land Rover Defender parked in the garage, and a bevy of tweed/waxed cotton outerwear with sueded rifle patches on the shoulder.
    Last edited by VespaMatt; November 16th, 2012 at 02:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I live in South Carolina and I concur with everything said. I have lived here for my whole life (23 year) and I still don't get use to the humidity. I can deal with the 100 degree heat (although I hate it), but when the humidity is so high that you can't breathe without sweating, Its stupid. Then it adds 20 degrees. I am tired of seeing: Current temp 100 feels like 127. I would and want to move up north/norhtish in a heartbeat. DC or Baltimore would be awesome.
    What we do in life echos throughout eternity.
    -Maximus