Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying winter clothes when you live in the south

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I moved to Memphis from Alaska a few years back. That was rough! I love coats and sweaters. Both are a definite no go in. Memphis at least 9 months out of the year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    here, in my part of the south, we actually do have winter. It's been fairly cold lately and won't really get warm again until April.

But, I've only gotten through one winter caring what I looked like.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I can relate to this thread. While not as warm as the south, the San Francisco Bay Area is pretty mild and I hardly ever get to wear sweaters, scarves, etc. Thought I'd try wearing one today (forecast was a high of 61) over a gingham button-up and after 5 minutes I had to take it off. Unless the temperature stays below 55, I'm not really able to dress in layers since I also have a pretty warm body temperature. I'm still trying to figure out how to dress stylishly in an extremely casual AND mild part of the country.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    I am pretty happy style wise to live in SC. I get to wear sweaters for 2 to 3 months and don't have to budget for a coat. Also no need for heavy duty snow boots.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    Well I was born and raised on the Mexican border so moving to Dallas was a 9-hour trip to the north for me. Compared to the weather where I grew up, it does get cold here. At least it snows occasionally here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I love it here in SC but keep finding myself looking at coats and jackets that I have no need for! It always sounds like a good idea to layer up with a sweater but once I get inside, I usually regret it. Making up for growing up in Indiana.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    The south is great for blazers. I love my tweed blazer in the Fall/Winter.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    I just moved to North Carolina. I still make trip back home to NY around the holidays, but it does get cold enough here to wear a lot of my favorite winter staples.
    42" Chest 32" Waist 6' Tall 185 lbs.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by george View Post
    I moved to Memphis from Alaska a few years back. That was rough! I love coats and sweaters. Both are a definite no go in. Memphis at least 9 months out of the year.
    I moved to Memphis this summer...any recommendations for a tailor? I went to PK Alterations on Poplar for some simpler things and I'm pretty happy, but was wondering if there are better options.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AJG Esq View Post
    I moved to Memphis this summer...any recommendations for a tailor? I went to PK Alterations on Poplar for some simpler things and I'm pretty happy, but was wondering if there are better options.
    Can't really say that I do. The whole time I was there I only got pants hemmed. Small shop on Germantown Parkway in Germantown. It was okay.