Thread: Suits and shirts for my body

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm a college student (i.e. on a pretty tight budget) looking to upgrade my business wardrobe over the next few months (before starting a new job in January) and I'm looking to invest in one or two starter suits, as well as a decent rotation of dress shirts and several button-down sport shirts. I've always had trouble finding dress clothes that fit me well, as I have wide shoulders and a thick neck, meaning that most clothes I buy are either too tight there or baggy around the torso and sleeves. Would you all suggest buying made-to-measure/custom (Indochino, etc.) or getting a department store brand and having it tailored? I'm looking for suits in the $200-$400 range and shirts no more than $100, and hoping to get clothing of a decent quality that will last a while. Suggestions on specific brands/models would be appreciated. Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)

warpedkarma, I recommend going to a tailor to get measured. Have him measure your chest, waist, hips, shoulders, arms, neck. Once you have those measurements it will be easy to see if any shirts will fit you off the rack.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)

what b to the ruschetta said

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Also look at JCREW factory Thompson suit. I bought The dark charcoal one for 135. But they can be had at $200 normally. With a little tailoring that look great.

What we do in life echos throughout eternity.
    -Maximus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The J Crew Factory Thompson looks great, and I'll definitely have my tailor take all my measurements. Any other specific suggestions on suit/shirt brands?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Update: I saw my tailor this weekend (Jerry-highly recommended for anyone in Boston!) and had him measure me: chest-43, neck-18.5, arms-35, waist-38, inseam-30. Based on these measurements, am I better off with made-to-measure or department store brands for suits? For dress/sport shirts? Thanks!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by warpedkarma View Post
    Update: I saw my tailor this weekend (Jerry-highly recommended for anyone in Boston!) and had him measure me: chest-43, neck-18.5, arms-35, waist-38, inseam-30. Based on these measurements, am I better off with made-to-measure or department store brands for suits? For dress/sport shirts? Thanks!

That should say "Neck - None" that's crazy dude you need a goatee, shaved head and a hog! Think you're stuck MTM

Varsity Member Sigtweed Corduroy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Ah, a fellow stocky gentleman like myself. Welcome. We need more of us folks around here to balance out all the thin marathon runners around here...;-)

While you're a little smaller than I, I know your plight well. I'm a 48R, 19 inch neck, 40 w guy with broad shoulders and arms. It's not an easy off the rack place to be but I assure you there is hope.

Without fail, custom is always the best option if you have the time and money and now a days it can be had a reasonable cost. I'd definitely recommend looking into Ratio for shirts and Indochino for suits.

For off the rack suits, definitely try Brooks Brothers, it might be pushing your budget but you might be able to find something on sale. I believe their lower end separates can be had close to $00.

As far as dress shirts go, I have had great luck with Gap of all places. Their slim fit, non iron variety seem to fit me very well and can be had at larger sizes for reasonable cost. I'd definitely play the discount waiting game as it seems these days every week there is at least a 25% special. Based on what size I buy, I'd try the XL or XXL slim fit, non iron. With a sale it's around $40 and pretty good quality. You might also have luck with Banana Republic.

Let me know if you have specific questions and if I can be of further help.