Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: J.Crew Bayswater vs. Schott Slim Fit Peacoat

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i also tried on the merona pea coat at target. fit seems good, some extra space on the waist but tolerable, although i have not tried other ones. sleeves are long, went beyond my wrist bone, and i don't think i have short arms. has a nice big collar, although it feels scratchy once i put it up against my neck.

a detail i noticed was the lack of epaulet on the should or cuff. what's people's take on this? Joe seems to prefer this simplistic look, although the coat itself is a solid color that does not have many visual attractions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Does anyone with the Bayswater coats have any experience with dog hair? I have a beagle that does shed a bit. My thinking is that Grey>Navy>Black.

@kentyman If your coat is Thinsulate lined, I would be interested too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

@Dpdk: Dog hair/people hair is somewhat of an issue with Bayswater, particularly because all three colors are very very similar and dark. You had the rankings correct.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

@chicbs1908 Thanks for confirming my suspicions. It still seems like the best choice given my desire for a -30 C (-22F) and beyond coat that fits well and has usable hand pockets. I check my army surplus store, and everything was big and made in China.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Hey guys! First time poster. I apologize for reviving a dead thread.

I had bought the bayswater after reading this thread and just got it in. It's great but I had a question. The front pockets seem to be partially sewn closed. Is this usual? Should I simply cut the threads?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

@M: Cut the threads, those are handwarmer pockets. Enjoy! Its one of my favorite items of clothing.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)

I just recently purchased a Bayswater (last years model) from Redford on here, and I couldn't be happier. It's my regular size (M) and it fits well. I don't think I could wear a suit jacket underneath, but I wouldn't use this as an overcoat on dressed-days, so that is fine. It's very slim fitting, and what I can't get over is the feel of the wool - it's incredible.

It just oozes quality. (I'm pretty sure I'm quoting someone from earlier in this thread by saying that, but it's true!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Thanks for the response Havensk. I was hoping I didn't get a defective item. I'm super pleased with the coat overall. I chose a small in navy and the color and fit are exceptional. I'm glad the 25% off discount came around so soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I was lucky enough to convince my local J.Crew to accept my old Small from February and have them send me an XS that is on its way. It took a little convincing after he noticed it was last year's model (by checking the tags), but he still semi-reluctantly went ahead with it. I feel pretty fortunate. I'll report back with its fit compared to my old S.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the banana republic navy peacoat is also a good option. it fits very well, high armholes, tapered sides etc, even better than jcrew on my body, and simplistic design. msrp $250 (down to 150 with the recent 40% off), but only comes in navy, too bad i want a charcoal.