Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The war bonnet really crosses the line.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

@Lib - Just to make sure, do you mean you find it offensive or just isn't a look that interests you stylistically?

It's a screenshot from a mainstream music video, but I would gladly remove it if that is a problem...

As far as I know there is no malicious intent in that wardrobe from the video. It is a reference to Indian motorcycles and Americana in the context, from what I am told.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm not personally offended, but I recognize that hipster girls wearing war bonnets is culturally insensitive at best.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

@Lib - She certainly has her cultural and Route 66 inspirations for doing it, but I'd hope others recognize it in the short film as that and don't wear it cluelessly and mockingly themselves. I think it is a pretty simple piece of video imagery in this case and pays reference to the type of scene among the rebel free-riding leather-heads on the roads and cinema in America.

Plus, it would look hipster on others to me. More of a painted cinematic liberty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hipsters have been doing this for years. That includes artistic justifications.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)

Not sure about Eva Green being fashionable--never really notice what she's wearing because she's so ridiculously smoking hot.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

@Lib - I think she pulls off most of her looks and is gorgeous. I have indeed seen pictures of hipsters wearing them before (albeit in less glamorous make-up and paired with thick glasses), but she doesn't come off as hipster to me.

By some parts of the definition, she fits, but by examples, she seems to be a cut above. She is far more a starlet hipster to my eyes. An imitation of characters and culture that still has a glamorous lure to many people, that often times is still exceptionally appealing and in place at events and videos. She doesn't look out of place in her environment, just styled in tribute to the memorable imagery of the 40s through 80s.

She's very much made of mainstream influences from film and music. Like she is willing to don a nostalgic American icon's look, but without it being anything obnoxiously out of place or with too much hipster winking involved. She attempts innocence and coquettish laughs, but is also knowingly vamped up and aware.

While she is unusually styled in today's market, no hipster I know comes close to looking as good to me.

Of course, its all opinion. While I may enjoy the results of her efforts, many will not.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)