Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stylish Women

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I'll mix things up eventually, but she's my favorite.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Lana Del Rey is the new spokesmodel for the Jaguar F-type, launching in Paris.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)

lol @ the unloading of the spank folder...

all kidding aside, I rather enjoyed that. Good show!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Can't help it. I think she's amazing.

http://youtu.be/eobk40DEsqQ?t=15s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOk0EBCsEZc&feature=player_embedded

Sandra Dee (with Bobby Darin)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    <blockquote>

</blockquote>

Haha I get it! Like the bee was filled with collagen.

Speaking of surgically enhanced, I always thought Dita Von Teese managed the retro style unbelievably well

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

@Lib - Yeah, it's poking fun at the speculation around her 'bee-stung lips'. I don't encourage anyone to get plastic surgery, but for some reason I think it adds to her image with the whole vamped-up 60s siren, Hollywood-got-to-me-but-I-love-NYC, valley of the dolls look

And did you somehow quote my post?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Charlize Theron generally looks great:

And now back to the usual:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cannon, care to explain your fascination with Del Rey? She has a sort of unique style for current times, but there are tons of women who originally had the look she is aping who you could obsess over, so why her? Not trying to insult or anything, just genuinely curious. To me her whole shtick seems very manufactured and contrived.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

@LakeCharles - This is a long one...

Not liking her is fine. It is subjective, but there are some facts that really aid in her appealing to my tastes along with the music and references she includes in her image.

I heard her music before I saw her image, and they match up to me. Her old lyrics from back before she changed her name still very much fit the same romantic fascinations and Hollywood obsessions that I assumed she had when I heard the references scattered throughout her current stuff.

As I've mentioned, I'm aware she is blending some past figures and images to make hers now. I'm not sure what tons of women you think share her image or similar image that are still fairly young today. As far as I can tell, she is all about grabbing from 1940s to 1980s Los Angeles, NYC, and London wealth and entertainment icons (eras and stars that I have a predisposed dwelling weakness for).

She's primary composer using a guitar and writer on all (ALL) of her songs, dating back 6-7 years ago, which I think is impressive compared to other artists in her category (she consistently seems to aim for cinematic symphonic melody laced with hip-hop production beats).

I have no doubt that she has a stage persona she goes for, but I also have no doubt that she is creative and a great song developer.

Nobody seems to care that other artists who failed on their original names and images went for another and succeeded (David Bowie, Bob Dylan, Lady Gaga, Rihanna, any rapper, Katy Perry, Madonna, Elton John, Steven Tyler, etc.). It doesn't faze me that she clearly has changed her image to one that she and her team thought would work (which it did) to reach success.

She made the change at a small label, so I'm not sure why the big label conspiracy comes around so often. She clearly was dwelling on the same fascination with dying young and the old school American Dream long ago in her lyrics.

I can't seem to get over her description of her trouble explaining to producers and string composers with the "Born to Die" album to try to sound like American Beauty's score, early summertime Bruce Springsteen, and gangsta Nancy Sinatra. It turned out to be a great combo to my ears.

Yeah, I think she puts on the image and she knows what she's doing, but it is definitely in part coming from the stars, movies, and ideals she personally liked. Its better to me than her not writing or composing.

Considering the over 50 songs she posted herself online and the fact she is still releasing songs she had already released under previous names, I'd assume she's not trying to keep it secret that she's tried music releases before.

She also edited film collages combined with her on webcam to make her early videos before having film budgets, and the sound on those certainly resembles her big-label self today.

All the original drafts on her videos are written by her, and she helps cast and direct them all as well.

And her favorite movies are The Godfather Parts I & II, and favorite soundtrack is Thomas Newman's score to American Beauty (which is an excellent score, to me, thus the string backing on her album perhaps gains more appeal using such influence).