Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

Also, for those who enjoy flavorful and sort of funky beer, Flemish sours like Duchesse de Bourgogne are incredible. If you like that sort of thing, look for Brasserie Franches Montaignes (BFM). A young, pretty crazy brewmaster who makes explosive flavors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm a beer guy. I'm pretty serious about it; it was my last immersive hobby before I stumbled onto this one (clothing/style).

I am not, and never will be, a hophead. Beers that are solely vehicles for piney/citric/floral/grassy (i.e., hoppy) flavor don't make sense to me; they're completely unbalanced. There are a handful of IPAs I've enjoyed (notably DFH 60 minute and a couple from Bell's), but hops-first beers generally don't interest me.

I'm a relative expert on German wheat beers (hefeweizens, weizenbocks, and so forth), and I also enjoy a number of traditional British styles (English stouts, porters, and barleywines primary among them). There are a bunch of other European beers on my "favorites" list, mostly malty and/or yeasty ones.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)

I'm not a beer expert by any stretch but I've found that I definitely prefer Belgian-style ales and nut brown ales. Some of my favorite standbys are New Belgium's Abbey and Trippel, Big Sky's Moose Drool, and Madison River's Salmon Fly Honey Rye (both local microbrews). If I'm in a new bar or restaurant and nothing on the beer menu looks familiar, I will generally go with an inoffensive "micro" brew like Fat Tire.

I'm not into beers that are either excessively hoppy or malty ("motor oil" as my dark-beer-loving ex roommate affectionately called them). I like a nice, balanced, slightly bready-tasting beer.

Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The Twin Cities beer scene is pretty great right now, so most of my favorites are local beers. Surly, Indeed, Summit, Harriet, Fulton, and Lucid are some of my favorites. Plus most of their taprooms are bikable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

BB...I've also had the pleasure of imbibing the legendary Westvleteren. Amazing stuff, and I luckily have a friend bringing me a bottle as we speak! However, I would disagree that St. Bernardus is like water in comparison...I actually find them to be reasonably close in the bottle. Haven't had Westy on tap, though, so that may be the difference maker.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

"Like water" is admittedly a huge overstatement. But I was with a friend who knew nothing about beer, and even he could pick out which one was Westvleteren -- he could tell it had more depth of flavor and a ridiculously long aftertaste. Sadly, that made him like it less.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Ended up at a pre- Belgian Beer Fest throwdown at my local bar last week and ended up having:

Cantillon Mamouche

Allagash BAM (Barrel Aged Mead)

Allagash BAT (Mead aged in Tequila Barrels)

Allagash Fluxus 12 (Gingery yet great!)

Allagash Bookers Curieux (aged in Booker Bourbon barrels)

Evil Twin Lil' B Imperial Porter (chocolatey goodness!)

Evil Twin Femme Fatale Brett

I'm an IPA fan and waiting for my Stone Enjoy by 9.21.12 IPA to arrive in mail. Thankfully, the local beer scene in Boston area is really good right now.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)

@lakechares, +1, brother

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

@Lewis: I actually just gave a buddy a bottle of Saison Dupont as a bday gift last weekend. I've never been to Deschutes (at least not the brewery, I've fished the river), but I need to. I'm about to get into some Black Butte porter as a matter of fact. One of my last trips to Portland I checked out Rogue and just yesterday took my wee lil daughter to Hopworks Urban Brewing while we were in the city. I recommend both.

It's cool to see several people mention Russian River. I have family near the Korbel champagnery - RR branched off from them - and spent summer vacations swimming in the river itself. I guess it's a small world after all.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Sometimes I feel I should visit the SF area just to get to the Russian River brewery. I had a Vermont trip planned this summer that got cancelled that'd have involved stopping by at the Alchemist brewpub, Hills Farmstead brew house and Lawsons' Finest liquids. Hopefully that works out this fall or next spring.