Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: What do you drive

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2074 Post(s)
    4WD is useful in snow/ice, but it's not going to drive the car safely for you. I was driving on the interstate in a blizzard a couple winters back, maxing out at about 45 mph. I had just finished passing a semi - a rather nerve-wracking experience in those conditions - when a Subaru Outback blasted past me and proceeded to fishtail, spin out, careen between the guard rails, and break into pieces as I desperately attempted to slow down without losing control of my own car (and hoping I wasn't about to get smashed from behind by the semi we had just passed).

Long story short - 4WD is nice, but it's no substitute for sensible driving.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    4WD is useful in snow/ice, but it's not going to drive the car safely for you. I was driving on the interstate in a blizzard a couple winters back, maxing out at about 45 mph. I had just finished passing a semi - a rather nerve-wracking experience in those conditions - when a Subaru Outback blasted past me and proceeded to fishtail, spin out, careen between the guard rails, and break into pieces as I desperately attempted to slow down without losing control of my own car (and hoping I wasn't about to get smashed from behind by the semi we had just passed).

Long story short - 4WD is nice, but it's no substitute for sensible driving.
    Yeah, no kidding. Wasn't looking towards a Subaru to do doughnuts in a foot of powder.

I am a veteran of driving through snowstorms and the occasional blizzard. My job (news) requires me to get to the office during extreme weather events. I had to abandon my car 2.5 miles from home during the Dec. 26 2011 NYC blizzard and walk the rest of the way home because there was no way to control it safely.

I have snow tires, which work well. But am interested also in AWD for obvious reasons.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Have you ever driven a really nice car? It's the same as wearing a bespoke suit vs one off the rack. There's a reason it's more expensive. Little things like the sound of door closing to the comfort of driving. Not saying everyone needs to go out and buy a luxury car, but just like a well built time piece or a fine bottle of wine, there's a reason they cost more and even if you don't want one, you can appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chareth View Post
    Perhaps I'm a bit of an outlier but I've never really had the itch to buy a really nice car. Right now, my car is probably worth less than my nicest watch.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mdwsta4 View Post
    Have you ever driven a really nice car? It's the same as wearing a bespoke suit vs one off the rack. There's a reason it's more expensive. Little things like the sound of door closing to the comfort of driving. Not saying everyone needs to go out and buy a luxury car, but just like a well built time piece or a fine bottle of wine, there's a reason they cost more and even if you don't want one, you can appreciate it.
    I can't afford a nice car right now but I can tell you that a lot of work goes in to making those cars. I interned at a BMW plant and I worked in quality and testing department. I worked my butt off to make sure all those new models and cool new features were put into those cars.