Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where and What to buy: athletic shoes

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    161 Post(s)

Where and What to buy: athletic shoes

My pair of relatively cheap Nike's just lost some more of their sole, so I'm going to need a new pair of athletic shoes soon.

These will be purely for athletic use. Gym, very occasional running and perhaps some light hiking when I don't want to use my boots, or do't have them around.

Where do you guys go for such items? Dept Store, 6pm/Zappos, outlet stores? I'm in LA.

And what do you buy?

Obviously this is a very broad question, and looks of athletic shoes are both very personal, and don't really matter that much to me. But some place to start in the seemingly boundless world of sneakers would be appreciated.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    I'm a huge fan of Zappos. Free shipping/returns, and at least here in NYC I usually get them next day (without paying for shipping or being VIP or whatever they call it. Unsure if that'd be the case in LA.

I'm similar in my use for sneakers, I have basketball shoes for that, so they're purely for gym use. I'm a fan of Nikes myself. I currently have the LunarGlide 3 ( http://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/hy...ide-3-plus.jpg ), which I really have enjoyed, but they're pretty worn out after a few years (thankfully indoor use and my preference for lifting/cycling vs running means they last a while).

I just purchased the Lunar TR1 ( http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/lu...6/pgid-1404462 ) as replacement shoes, and so far I like them a lot. A little more flex in the sole than the LG3s, but still reasonable for crosstraining use. And really light. If you run a lot, you might want more structure/padding and incline in the heel of the shoe (TR1s aren't the 'free' shoes but they don't have much ), but that's not an issue for me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)
    I'm a fan of Lunarglides too. Light but still has enough stability support. The current ones are 6 but I'm still on the 4th gen (2nd pair). Once you find a shoe that you like, then it's really easy where to shop, anywhere that's the cheapest: ebay, amazon, footlocker, etc. Being behind on the generations will also help on the price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Adidas Sambas for me. I've used them everywhere from hiking to indoor soccer and the gym. A basic pair starts at 55$ and are available almost everywhere.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    I am a New Balance fan, I think it matters a little bit what type of exercise you are doing. Also to consider is ankle support, do you need a high or mid top shoes?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    My favorite running shoe is the Nike Pegasus 31, but I wouldn't wear it hiking.
    For occasional running, gym, light hiking, etc I HIGHLY recommend the Nike Flyknit Free 5.0. But it's minimalist and fairly expensive, so it might not be for everyone. (I can't vouch for anything but the original 5.0 version)

I think your best bet is to go to an athletic store and try stuff on. Then go home and scour the internet for a good deal on a shoe that you liked.
    What I did when I was first starting and had no idea what to buy was look in the sale sections of Nike.com, Nordstrom, Amazon, Zappos, etc and do some research on what I found.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    If you know what you're looking for and which brand to get, I'd recommend checking out both leftlanesports.com and theclymb.com. Both sites offer steep discounts on dated recreational sportswear, gear, sneakers, hiking boots, etc.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    1. Depending on what you're doing, you may need different shoes for all of those activities. I almost certainly wouldn't use my current rotation running shoes for hiking or any kind of leg exercises at the gym. They're designed specifically for running and don't provide great lateral support, which would probably not be good for hiking. Additionally, with hiking you'll wear them out sooner and possible hinder their ability to provide the support you need when running. For lifting, you probably need shoes with firm, flat soles if you're doing things like squat or deadlift. The excess cushioning in running or hiking shoes may hinder performance on those exercises. However, they also don't need to be anything fancy. Plenty of guys lift barefoot or in Chuck's. I use an old pair of Sambas' or Onitsuka Tiger's that have a really thin cushion.

2. Don't worry about looks at all. There are threads here every once in awhile with people asking what the best looking running shoe is, and that should be the last thing on your mind. If all the features that make those shoes appropriate for a given activity can be packaged stylishly, great. If not, well, I'd rather have a lower injury risk or better performance in ugly shoes than the other way around. If you hike a lot, get some good hiking shoes that are designed for it. If you're running a lot, go to a running store and get fitted for shoes that fit your foot shape and gait. If you lift a lot, get something hard and flat.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    6pm/Zappos is just fine- they make the proces of ordering and returning fairly easy, never had any issues with them. However trying the shoes on in store and getting an advice of professional is way to go when you need to pick a pair that you want as your "go-to" pair of sport shoes.
    It might be somewhat hard to find a running shoe that satisfies all your criteria, but Nike Pegasus or Adidas Response Boost Techfit lines should perform just fine.
    I am more picky and I like to have a pair for each activity, so I have Mizuno "something" for running, Nike Gato for indoor soccer, Nike Kobe for bball, and Nike Mercurial for outdoor soccer. I think I have 2 more pair of older Nike's that I use when I work around the house or garage, and they began their life as running shoes.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    I'm going to go with my own opinion and say don't get knee wrecking shoes with the "shocks" or any of that zig zag work your butt tread crap, nice solid sole shoe, good for your feet. I say this after knee pain running using improper foot strike due to the stupid shocks on shoes. I use plain flat sole pumas & adidas that I've had for years.

Couple of ideas

http://www.vsathletics.com/store/VS-...ting-Shoe.html

http://www.muscledriverusa.com/Pendl...oes_c_715.html

http://www.adidas.ca/en/men-weightlifting