Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Levi's 513 vs. 514. Round 1. FIGHT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I need to order some 513's cuz like most of you find 514's too baggy sometimes. On another note has anyone seen the 508's? I noticed them on the Levi site and haven't seen any in stores but am curious on how they are.

http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp...0&locale=en_US

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm in the same boat as Powder et al: the 513's hit the sweet spot for me. The only annoying thing is that they're harder to find than 514's and 511's, and less likely to go on deep sale.

Varsity Member Sigtweed Corduroy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Macy's is having a substantial Levis sale right now...

"Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Macy's doesn't really have any traditional dark indigo styles in stock right now, though. The Super Dark are a bit more blue than traditional indigo would be. I went through the official Levi's site to order mine last month. They're running a 25% off promo until Sunday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'd recommend the Scraper Dark, which is what I ordered/am currently wearing.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    97 Post(s)

Any chance you could post the leg opening measurements for further comparison?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I used to wear 513s religiously and then started wearing 511s because I could never find 513s in a dark wash. I searched again for 513s recently after the topic came up on threads and the only dark wash 513s I could find felt like paper - completely lacked the feel of the 514s I own (and have to taper!)

Two pairs of 513s I own have now been relegated to 'work wear', unfortunately. I don't think I'll buy another pair of 511s, however. Just too slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm a fan of them, yeah. Just found them a few months ago though, really! The rise doesn't feel that much higher, if at all (at least on the ones I've worn), and to me there seems to be minimal difference in the thighs, but from the knees down it's much slimmer, and the leg opening is noticeably tapered, as well. All around solid slim fit, imo. The color/wash selection can be on the spartan side, though!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    This is something I've been wondering about as well, and I haven't had a chance to check out the 513s in person. When I finally made the switch from bootcut to straight-leg jeans (though it took me long enough haha), 514s were the first pair I bought. I could never imagine wearing skinny jeans, but the 514s felt like a good compromise. But like LesserBlackDog said, now that I've had the 514s for over a year, the leg opening seems a bit floppy and boot-cut to me....sometimes it just doesn't seem as sharp or streamlined. Maybe the 514s just seemed slim because I was used to bootcuts, or maybe now that I wear loafers more, the leg opening seems large. Whatever it is, I was hoping to get some feedback on a few questions:

- The Levi's website says that the 513s have a 15 1/4" opening, as opposed to the 514's 17" opening. Has anyone found that maybe this goes a bit TOO slim, especially since it's only slightly larger than the 511? I guess the 513s would be fine for loafers or dress shoes, but has anyone found them to be too tight around boots or thicker shoes? (One of the reasons I used to only buy bootcuts was to avoid that 1990s Seinfeld-esqe ankle taper.)

- Any chance of getting the 513s on sale? Kohls, as well as most Macys, don't seem to carry them, and I've never paid more than $50 for a pair of jeans. Just a personal thing, but I don't like to pay too much for denim, and the 513s seem a bit pricy.

- Someone above said that they get their 514s tapered. Do tailors do this pretty easily, and about how much do they charge? I might go that route for now, since I already have a few pairs of jeans that would be fine once tapered slightly below the knee. On a related note, I've always been a Levi's fan, but I recently got a couple pairs of Lucky Brand at their outlet for $50 a piece. The fit, comfort and quality seem pretty good so far, and may convert me away from Levi's. The Lucky 121 heritage slim might be a good middle ground between the 513 and 514. Also, the Lucky 221 straights have a good fit at the thighs, but suffer from the same issue at the opening as the 514s.

Anyway, sorry for the lengthy post; looking forward to seeing what you guys have to say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Just throwing this out there.

Bonobos Slim Straight Dark Denim, Made in the USA Selvedge is currently $68.

Non selvedge $54
    that's only like 3/2 of levi's pricing, and they've got the bonobos fit.