Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $3.99 Brown leather watch strap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just picked up a black and a brown. They were in the dangly crap, but note that there were 2 aisles like that, each with stuff by Bead Landing. The packaging was black and yellow with the strap in front.

I noticed the same differences between the black and the brown. It turns out the brown is so thick, I can't get it on any of my 3 strapped watches, including my Timex Weekender, my dressy Bulova, and pretty sizable Omega. I'll just return the brown one next time I'm there for framing. I really can't picture a watch that could handle leather that thick. Luckily I already have a brown leather NATO from Crown & Buckle.

Oh, note that my watches take 20 mm bands. If you have 18 or 22, I don't see these working for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Been wearing mine for 2 months and it shows no wear. This isn't full grain leather, but it makes a great placeholder for something better.

Also, FYI, there were 2 different brown straps in my Michaels - a pebble grain version and a smooth version.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2050 Post(s)

Well... I broke my spending fast to buy a couple of these cheap leather straps, just to see if they were any good. Worked out to about $7 after a discount and tax.

A few observations:

As another commenter noted above, the brown version is thicker than the black. Personally, I prefer the thickness of the black. More comfortable and conforms better to the shape of the watch, making for a better look and fit. But it didn't take much effort to soften the brown one up: I folded it over on itself, and rolled the fold down the full length of the strap several times, folding in both directions. This softened the leather up immediately (it also added a grainy, slightly distressed texture to the leather upper).

The best-fitting stud was slightly too tight, so I also stretched the leather slightly. I soaked it in warm water, put it on the watch, and gave it a firm pull from either side. The best-fitting stud is now comfortable, and as the leather is drying, it is conforming better to the shape of the watch, and continuing to soften. Once it has dried fully, I will probably treat it with a little mink oil or leather protectant to prevent the strap from becoming TOO distressed.

The metal stud is removable and reversible. It simply screws off. This means that, if you prefer a suede look, you can reverse the strap. The backing of the black strap has a sort of greyish blue, denim-like color, so that would be an easy way to get a different-looking strap.

All in all, not my favorite straps, but not bad considering how cheap they are. I may post pics when there is better lighting tomorrow.

Ben

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Are these still around? I stopped by a local store to get a back-up band, and couldn't find them.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Wow they look great and the price is right - but i dont have any watch that supports those pass through type straps

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Wow, I would definitely get them, but I'm looking to get brown leather NATOS in 22mm.