Thread: limitations to altering shirts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Occasionally, I come across a shirt that I really like and fits me at my neck (15.5) but happens to be way too big at the waist, sleeve, & sleeve openings by about 70%. I mean, it would look like I'm wearing a tent. The last one that came across was an eton shirt and they all seemed way too large. the shirt didn't have any darts or pleats and I'm wondering, if I purchased the shirt, if there are limitations to how much i can cut things down.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I've had my tailor take in some tent sized shirts that fit fine in the sleeve and neck, and they all fit great now. Had both the sleeves and the body taken in.

Next time I do it I'll take some before and afters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

@145-- I'll ask the obvious question: You are trying on slim fit dress shirts, right?

Regardless, tailors and alteration shops can do all the standard alterations to a large shirt to bring in the waist, slim the sleeves and even dart the back. I would suppose there is a limitation to how much they can take in on the sides if you have a chest pocket, but that's just my observation when looking at poofy shirts that I have that are one full size too big and are traditionally cut.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)

Sounds like there's a really big discrepancy from where the shirt is to where you want it to be (70%). Some tailors may not want to take on the project, or you may have to pay a good bit. Some will say that it can't be done so that they won't have to do it. If you get it done, depending on how the tailor performs the surgery, it may look a bit odd. If a tailor says yes, you may want to talk to him about how he'll do it so that you don't wind up having darts that suck up a majority of the shirt, etc.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

@145 - Is there a reason you can't buy a smaller size? That's a lot of work for a single shirt if you're not happy with it.

@anyone else -- picked up a couple polos from Lands End I really like, save for the bagginess in the chest. I typically wear mediums, (6'5/180), but have a similar problem as OP. Do I dare take it to a tailor to bring it in? 10 bucks for tailoring on a $20 polo is worth it to me.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)

@Ragu -- they could probably slim them down decently, but may not get them down perfectly if there's a long way to go. May not be bad to try getting one tailored down to see how it goes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Suggestion: just get made-to-measure. It is a lot cheaper than you would think. Good-fitting shirts really complete the look. I use Proper Cloth, but other options exist. Use this referral link to get a one-time discount (of $30): http://propercloth.com/i/c5uhcy