Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laundering Clothes

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)

I work in an office. I am indoors all work day unless I run out to grab lunch. I also change in to casual clothes when I get home. I do not sweat much at all and as a keyboard jockey I am sitting most of the day. I am also not a smoker.

Based on the above would you wash your work clothing after each wear? I am thinking that less washes will improve the life span of clothing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

I'd use the smell test. If it still smells fresh, iron the shirt and go for it. pants and jackets you can wear for longer.

Dress for style, live for results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I personally think you get get away with 2-4 wears before washing, depending on how much you sweat and whatnot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Do you wear an undershirt? If yes, you can ~maybe~ get away with not washing the shirt. If directly on the skin, I say wash every time. Pants, jackets, sweaters don't need to be washed very often.

Personally, I wash all my shirts after every wear. Cold water and hang dry (from hangers on the shower curtain rod) doesn't take much of a toll.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)

I do pretty much the same -- My suits/slacks go as many wears as possible without drycleaning (so long as no stains, I hang them up right after wearing which gets most of the wrinkles out). For dress shirts, even with an undershirt, I tend to wear only once because I like them pressed at the cleaners as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

My routine sounds the same as bremersm too except I don't even run out for lunch, but for some reason I can't get past the idea of re-wearing a shirt twice like I can with pants, which go many, many, many times more without a wash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't rewear my shirts (mostly polos) without washing them, but pants/slacks I can rotate through different pairs every few days and I usually wash them every other week

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm just curious why shirts over an undershirt are treated differently than pants? I suppose the fabric is usually lighter and so attracts more dirt, but in a work environment that shouldn't be an issue. And if you have an undershirt, only a bit of it is touching the skin.

Varsity Member nicholascrawford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

I defffinitely wear as many times as possible without washing. With dress shirts, if they're getting wrinkly, I wear them under a sportcoat until the collars start to pickup the brown ring.

Still, the dry cleaners in my new neighborhood started recognizing me around week two.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)

I have a little fear of smelling bad, and so generally wash shirts after a day of wear, even if worn over an undershirt.

With pants it's usually every two to three wears. This is a problem as I'm starting to wear suits and don't want to dry clean them that often. So just bought a steamer - we'll see how that goes.