Page 65 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1555636465

Thread: What book are you currently reading?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    Fasting and Keto interest me but I practice neither.

1. Fasting has so many variables and it is hard to pin down which one is best. Water only or low cal? Time period 18hrs, 1 day, 3 day, 5 day, 7 day, 10 day, and how often to cycle? I like the idea of autophagy but figuring out which fasting period works best is still a black box. Also add into this the only good study has been on monkeys and the best benefit came to those with bad diets to start. Anything is better than the Standard American Diet.
    2. Keto seems to have promise on various ailments. It helps in disease management and looks promising to add when trying to cure certain types of cancer.

Sorry for the soapbox. Is Fung trying to sell anything with the book or just put the literature out there?
    Totally agree -- there doesn't seem to be a consensus on fasting. Recently I decided to try it and just finished my first water-only 36 hour fast today. Wasn't as hard as I thought it would be and dropped 4 lbs in one day (which was a good thing, since the purpose was to break through a plateau). I doubt that's typical, but it was a nice surprise this morning. It was an interesting experiment, but I'll probably stick to shorter fasts to lose my last few lbs.

I believe Fung wrote the book just to get the info out there, but has since aligned with a website called DietDoctor that has some type of subscription plan. Not sure what it involves though. In any case, he doesn't seem interested in launching a line of "diet" food products like Atkins, Weight Watchers, etc. I'm not a cheerleader for him, but I found the book interesting.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nixxy View Post
    Reading "The Thing" by Chesterton
    I need to read this, love GKC but haven't gotten to this one yet.

Current reading: I decided to tackle The Divine Comedy, currently about 1/3rd of the way through Inferno. Mixing that up with a Gene Wolfe short story collection.
    “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
    "The mood will pass, sir.”

Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1249 Post(s)
    The Divine Comedy, that's by David Foster Wallace correct? If it is, and it is the book I'm thinking of, wow. Good job. His books aren't easy to tackle.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    The Divine Comedy, that's by David Foster Wallace correct? If it is, and it is the book I'm thinking of, wow. Good job. His books aren't easy to tackle.
    Nope, Dante. I'm not that familiar with Wallace to be honest, but I've definitely gathered that tackling his stuff is a commitment.
    “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
    "The mood will pass, sir.”

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Quoted
    971 Post(s)
    Finished Hello World by Hannah Fry and working on Malcolm Gladwell's Blink. Seems a little dated as it was published in 2005 but still an interesting read.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)
    Finally finished The Dark Forest by Cixin Liu. I don't know if I'm going to finish the series though. I'm not a huge fan of his writing style. The thing that might make me finish it is that the end of The Dark Forest sets up the next book to go in an unexpected direction soooo yeah I might slog through the last book if I get through my current reading list.

I've also been reading Acceptance by Jeff Vander Meer which is wrapping up that series nicely. It's tense and creepy and weird and perfect.

Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1249 Post(s)
    Currently reading Hark, which is about a new-age guru kind of guy. Just 50 pages but enjoying the book so far.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    Rereading The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini. Wanted to breeze through something easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)
    How Long 'til Black Future Month by N.K. Jemisin. It's a collection of sci-fi short stories, most are great. I'm really enjoying it.