Page 66 of 67 FirstFirst ... 165664656667 LastLast

Thread: What book are you currently reading?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    The Bounty, by Bligh's biographer Caroline Alexander. Exhaustively researched and a bit exhausting to get through, but in the end an enjoyable and very informative read.
    Sent from my CONTROL shoe phone inside the Cone of Silence

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1030 Post(s)
    I started reading Influence by Robert Cialdini but then switched to Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker. Along with Why We Sleep, Walker has done quite a few podcasts which I am listening to as well.

Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1364 Post(s)
    The Library Book by Susan Orlean. You'd think a book about the history of libraries, written around the great library fire of the LA public library, would be dull. But you'd be wrong.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    The Library Book by Susan Orlean. You'd think a book about the history of libraries, written around the great library fire of the LA public library, would be dull. But you'd be wrong.
    Added this to my To Read list. I love a good library.

I finished How Long 'til Black Future Month by N.K. Jemisin. Can't overstate how much I like her writing. It's a bunch of short stories and there was only one that I thought was so-so. All the others were fantastic.

Next up: Space Opera by Catherynne M. Valente

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)
    Just started Timefulness by Marcia Bjornerud. https://press.princeton.edu/titles/13234.html

If nothing else it's a beautiful little book with some nice illustrations in the text. I'm a geologist so it's a subject near to my heart. Hoping it's a good read.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1068 Post(s)
    The Empty Throne by Bernard Cornwell. Its in the "Saxon Stories" series, which is the basis of The Last Kingdom on Netflix.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1030 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    I started reading Influence by Robert Cialdini but then switched to Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker. Along with Why We Sleep, Walker has done quite a few podcasts which I am listening to as well.
    Finished "Why We Sleep". Was a great book and would recommend it for people who do not prioritize sleep. I stopped using an alarm clock mid-way through reading this book. Used to wake up at 5:30a every morning, now I wake up on my own between 5:45a and 6:30a or whenever the kids run into our room.

Back to Cialdini then I don't know. I have a shelf of unread books and a long Amazon wish list....

Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1364 Post(s)
    Podcasting has ruined me for books I used to read a TON. Now, all of my free time is spent listening to podcasts. I need to get back in to reading.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)
    On Trails by Robert Moor https://www.amazon.com/Trails-Explor.../dp/1476739234

Not really what I was expecting. Well written and interesting so far. Recommended.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1030 Post(s)
    So I finished Influence in June. Not at life changing as some people say.

In July I read, The Stranger in the Woods by Michael Finkel. It was a quick and interesting read about a modern day hermit. I forget where I found out about this book.

I am currently reading The Half-Life of Facts by Samuel Arbesman. I am about 50 pages in and it is fine so far. Really makes you think about all of the facts you think you know but have changed since you learned them.